Problems between family members on different releases?

dmt3228
dmt3228
Community Member

I enrolled in Families and invited my husband. I am on release 6.8.9 and he is on 7.6. I am having problems administering. Could the difference in releases be the cause?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dmt3228

Welcome to the 1Password Support Forum. I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your 1Password Families membership. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. Same for macOS 10.11. Each last received an update over 2 years ago. Your 1Password membership would include 1Password 7, but macOS 10.11 cannot run it. Is your Mac not compatible with newer versions of macOS?

I am having problems administering. Could the difference in releases be the cause?

That's possible. What specifically is the difficulty you're having?

Ben

• dmt3228
    dmt3228
    Community Member

I'm not able to share my vault and vice versa. What MacOs does 1Password7 require? I wish I had known the release 6 was obsolete two years ago.

• dmt3228
    dmt3228
    Community Member

Especially since I began my subscription about 2 years ago.

• As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend, and in some cases it may cause problems. As I mentioned your membership includes access to the latest versions of 1Password, so you're covered there, but we'd strongly recommend upgrading to the latest macOS. To take advantage of 1Password 7 you would need at least macOS High Sierra 10.13:

System requirements for 1Password

That said, I'm not entirely convinced the problem you're having is related to that. 1Password is designed such that the 'Personal' (or 'Private') vault cannot be shared. Instead a shared vault should be created to contain the items you would like to share:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• dmt3228
    dmt3228
    Community Member

I don't want to buy a new computer at this point which is the crux of the problem here.

It wasn't quite clear to me whether sharing for the administrator meant sharing passwords and vaults. But I get it now. Sharing only happens on the shared vault.

Thanks for your help.

• @dmt3228

I don't want to buy a new computer at this point which is the crux of the problem here.

We're not financial advisors, and I know these devices are expensive, but if the device is old enough that it will no longer run the latest operating system it may be time to start at least planning for a newer model.

It wasn't quite clear to me whether sharing for the administrator meant sharing passwords and vaults. But I get it now. Sharing only happens on the shared vault.

Gotcha. Yes, correct, sharing happens at the vault level. You can have one or more shared vaults, but you cannot share the built-in 'Personal' vault.

Thanks for your help.

Of course! You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• dmt3228
    dmt3228
    Community Member

Yes, I understand you are not financial advisors. I have one. But, again thanks for the "Technical Advice".

• Fair enough. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.