Chrome 1PasswordX Slow to Enter Master Password

Options

I have Chrome ( 85.0.4183.83 ) and 1Password X ( 1.21.0 ) on an iMac on macOS Catalina 10.15.6. I'm using only a family 1Password.com account. When I try to unlock 1Password X, the text field for entering in the Master Password is very slow and it takes around 3 to 5 seconds for a single "*" character to show up after clicking any keyboard key. I can type in my entire password and the Master Password lock screen text field is blank for several seconds.

I have disabled all other Chrome extensions. The Chrome install is fairly "fresh out of the box" (e.g. I don't believe I have changed any of the about: settings, no themes; only logged into a Google account for Chrome).

Once I have 1Password X unlocked, the search text field is very responsive.

I have 1Password X on Firefox and it is fast. 1Password for Mac and the 1Password for Safari extension are similarly speedy. Just 1Password X on Chrome.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.21.0
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• oliveirahugo68
    oliveirahugo68
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same behaviour only when I'm using an external monitor and I'm trying to unlock 1password on that monitor. If I try to unlock on my MacBook screen (with or without external monitor) everything works fine.

• bluk
    bluk
    Community Member
    Options

Ah @oliveirahugo68 is absolutely correct. The text entry is "normal" on my main monitor (iMac built-in display), but it is very slow on my external monitor (an old Apple 27" standalone monitor). Moving the Chrome window to my main monitor fixes the issue. I did not think to check if having Chrome running on an external monitor versus the main monitor would make a difference, but it does seem to cause the issue.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

There's currently a known bug in Chrome that affects quite a few extensions out there, in which using an external monitor will cause a graphical glitch that looks like lag: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=971701

We do hope they'll fix it soon. Until then, you have two possible workarounds available:

• Type in your Master Password as fast as you want, even if it looks like nothing is being typed in, then hit Enter to unlock. It will work regardless of what you see on the screen.
    • Move Chrome to your built-in display, which will allow the Master Password screen to show data correctly.

The third workaround is to unplug the external monitor but I don't even consider it as a viable option :)

• steverawlins
    steverawlins
    Community Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thank you for this explanation. As a brand-new 1Password user, I was about to give-up because weird, key-logger suspicious behavior is not what you hope for in an app which is supposed to give you that confident, secure feeling. I am on Chrome Version 88.0.4324.150 and when I flip over to the main, built-in monitor on my MacBook - no problem entering the passcode. I had already un-installed and re-installed the Extension using the Chrome Extension Manager. Thanks for the simple work-around, but I cannot help adding: This is a serious drawback for marketing a product such as 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback on this as well @steverawlins, we appreciate you taking the time to write it!

• steverawlins
    steverawlins
    Community Member
    Options

Works correctly now. I can login when the 1Password login window is on my attached monitor, as expected. I am using Google Chrome 90 on a Mac. Thank you for correcting this strange bug.

• @steverawlins

We're glad to hear things are working as expected. Feel free to reach back out if you encounter any other issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.