1Password7 Mac - Can't Delete Standalone Primary Vault

Options
cdlenfert
cdlenfert
Community Member

When I click the ellipsis (bottom right of the screenshot below)...

and choose "Delete Vault" next to my Primary vault (which is synced via Dropbox)...

I'm prompted for my Master Password, which I supply and then the "Delete Items and Vault" buttons becomes available.

Clicking the Delete button does nothing and the prompt greys out and just sits there...

I waited for 10 minutes and the vault is never deleted.

This is the only vault I have, so doing "Reset all 1Password Data" from the help > troubleshooting menu works, but for devices where this vault is not the only standalone vault, what are the options for removing this primary vault without having to complete set up 1Password from scratch?

Thank you for any assistance.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G6020)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cdlenfert

This is the only vault I have, so doing "Reset all 1Password Data" from the help > troubleshooting menu works, but for devices where this vault is not the only standalone vault, what are the options for removing this primary vault without having to complete set up 1Password from scratch?

The Primary vault has to be the last removed standalone vault. Because of the way standalone vaults are structured, the Primary vault cannot be removed while other standalone vaults exist. I'm sorry there isn't a more convenient option here.

Ben

• cdlenfert
    cdlenfert
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben thank you for the quick response!

My primary vault is my one and only vault (so it is the last). I still cannot delete it. It seems like a bug to me. You can replicate it by adding a standalone vault (only), it becomes the primary vault, then try to delete it and it will fail to delete.

I understand that if another device has this vault set as primary, they'll have to remove all other standalone vaults in order to delete this primary vault. That's not the situation for my device however.

• Ben
    Options

@cdlenfert

My primary vault is my one and only vault (so it is the last). I still cannot delete it. It seems like a bug to me. You can replicate it by adding a standalone vault (only), it becomes the primary vault, then try to delete it and it will fail to delete.

I was not able to reproduce that on my Mac. For me, the Primary vault deleted as expected.

I understand that if another device has this vault set as primary, they'll have to remove all other standalone vaults in order to delete this primary vault. That's not the situation for my device however.

I understand. Unfortunately at this point I think the 'Reset all 1Password Data' menu option you mentioned would be the best path forward. In the meantime I'll speak with the team and see if anyone is able to reproduce the issue you outlined above.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@cdlenfert

I think the bug here is that the option to delete the Primary vault is presented at all. If you are not signed into an account, and as such the Primary vault is the only vault, then resetting the app is the only way to delete the Primary vault. Could you please confirm you were not signed into a 1Password account when given this option?

Ben

• cdlenfert
    cdlenfert
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks again for the follow up. You are correct that I'm not signed into a 1Password.com account and only have a single primary vault. The option is presented to delete it, but the process doesn't work. If "Reset all 1Password Data" is the method for deleting it, then the option by the vault in the sidebar should not be available as you mention.

I'm all set for now. Thank you for your assistance.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @cdlenfert. Indeed the option should not be available in that scenario. I'll follow up with development on that. Thank you for reporting this!!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.