1Password X basic auth issue with Firefox container add-on

I posted this in another thread and made some edits to it, but then it got deleted when I tried to save the last edit for some reason. Anyhow, here's a revised version of that post and hopefully this won't be deleted.

I recently ran into an issue with a basic auth prompt that wouldn't play nice with 1Password X. For those interested it's the admin portal for a Communigate email server.

After writing a short novel here while continuing with the troubleshooting I figured out that my issue had nothing to do with 1Password X, the website in question or Firefox. Instead it turns out it's two of my browser add-ons which are causing it.

If I disable TC and remove the site from the Work container in FFMAC so the site opens in just an ordinary tab in Firefox everything works. But if I configure FFMAC to always open the site in the Work container it doesn't work. Same thing if I disable FFMAC and activate TC. When Firefox tries to open the site in a specific container it creates a new tab and that somehow seems to mess with 1Password X trying to automatically log in.

This is more or less the definition of an edge case so I'm not counting on it being fixed, and I'm not really sure if you can do anything about it or if the issue really lies with Mozilla.

1Password Version: 7.6.781 (Beta)
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.21.0 (build #20120)
OS Version: Windows 10 1909 (18363.959)
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Backspaze ,
    Thank you for writing in about this (again)! Not sure why your previous message was deleted but I'm glad you found the energy to sum it up again :)

We are aware of issues with extensions that change Firefox's default behavior when it comes to profiles. The container addons are a known culprit of troubles with 1Password, and as you figured, we don't have much say on the matter, since we can't change how they behave. I know they might be very useful and comfortable to work with, but always keep in mind that they may affect your autofilling experience with 1Password.

I'm sorry I don't have anything substantial to add here, but I hope this confirmation will help you adjust your workflow accordingly to avoid such issues in the future.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

Yup, I'm with you @ag_yaron. My workaround is to exclude the affected domains from FFMAC and add an exception in TC. Sure it defeats the purpose of using the containers (privacy/separation of work/private) but for these domains it doesn't really matter in the end.

• I'm glad you have a workaround, @Backspaze. :smile: Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.