Family members' sessions/devices IPs no longer visible for family organizer

wizard86pz
wizard86pz
Community Member

As in the title, I just noticed that from web app, the family members' sessions/devices IPs are no longer visible for family organizer. Is this intended? If yes, why this change? As family organizer could be really useful to understand with the member if there is a strange IP used for a session on his account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @wizard86pz

This was an intentional change. Stalking by family members is a serious concern, and not something we want to be in a position of enabling.

Release-862
    • [SECURITY] The user's page no longer shows location related information for other users in a family account. {7924}

Ben

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

I see, thanks for info. But ONLY the family organizers were able to do that. Not every family member, but I understand your point.

• Unfortunately domestic situations can occur with family organizers as well. Family organizers already wield a tremendous amount of power, some arguably by necessity, but we're trying to minimize unnecessary exposure for family members. Imagine a battered spouse finds a safe haven only to sign into their 1Password account not knowing that is going to reveal their location to their spouse... While I don't know of any instances where 1Password was utilized in that way, it is just not something we want to be enabling. We'll be continuing to evaluate how we can best avoid being involved in such situations.

Ben

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

I understand, thanks for quick reply.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are very welcome :)

• asefoiashefou
    asefoiashefou
    Community Member

Love that logic. Thanks for thinking these things through.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @asefoiashefou :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.