Attachments?

Is there no way to attach a file or image to a record in 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• All files are stored as discrete Document items, @Liazard, but you can link Document items to other items so you can easily access them from a different record. You can find a guide to managing files generally here:

https://support.1password.com/files/

And instructions to link related items can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/link-items/

:+1:

• You should have a + up by the search field in your desktop app, @Liazard:

From there, select Document to upload a file:

After you've done that, you can link that file to any existing record. So, for example, you can add a photo of your driver's license to a driver's license item.

You can create Document items on the web app, if you'd like, but you can only link them in the desktop apps for the moment. :+1:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@Bundkate, is this available on the standalone version? I have 17 options including Outdoor Licence which you don't show. I do not have Documents, AWS or Pokemon.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42: If you use a local vault in 1Password 7 for Windows with a standalone license, you do not have Documents. Documents are available only if you have a 1Password membership account.

@Liazard: Yes, Documents are separate items and you will need to upload them separately at the moment. We are looking at ways to improves this experience in the future, so I apologise for the inconvenience.

If you have other questions, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@Greg : that’s what I expected. Will that change?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42: Standalone vaults work only with attachments, as this is the oldest type of vault that we support. The vaults in 1Password membership accounts are more recents, and we decided to store Documents in their separate category so they can be grouped in the same place.

I am not able to disclose any plans regarding that at the moment, but I will be happy to answer other questions, if you have them. :) Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Liazard, I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

We are working really hard to make 1Password experience consistent across all platforms, but right now 1Password.com and 1Password 7 for Windows are a little behind. Please note that "Add New File" button already exists when you edit and item in 1Password 7 for Mac:

We want to bring it to 1Password for Windows in the future, but we have a lot of catching up to do there. Again, I apologise for these difficulties. I will make sure to share your feedback with our team, so we could get better.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have other questions, we are always ready to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

@Greg: you guys do far more right than you do wrong. I moan occasionally because I use the stand alone windows version and we are always behind but when push comes to shove what I use is my decision and I prefer 1P. Per ardua ad Astra!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42,

Thank you for your kind words! Your feedback and our discussion make us and 1Password better, so please do not hesitate to share your thoughts with us. :) :+1:

++
    Greg

• I totally understand where you're coming from, and we want 1Password to be the best it can be as well!

Make no mistake about it, your voice is heard here. 😊

• khelal
    khelal
    Community Member

Just got on the 1password bandwagon as a paid customer and while I love it in general, the "Documents" thing is a complete mess. Why are files that I'm attaching to secure notes or passwords being shown separately? If I move an item from a private fault to a shared one, the documents don't get transferred with it and I have to manually re-link them one by one. That's a horribly broken UX.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @khelal!

This is also one thing I don't like at 1Password. It is not so easy to link all entries to each other and if you delete or move an entry you have to manually delete or move the documents linked to each other, too. It takes a lot of time. Actually I'm adding all of my software licenses and for every license entry I have to add 2 or 3 documents which I have to link to each other. At the moment I'm a little tired of doing this and have a break...

Why it is not possible to attach documents (pdf, jpg...) directly into an entry? And if I move or delete such an entry all the attachments in it will also be deleted or moved. That would be a really great benefit. :+1:

• khelal
    khelal
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

This is actually so bad that I already cancelled inviting the family and will look for another option in case there's no way to disable this functionality. And this is for the latest Mac client btw - not the Windows one.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I started adding documents to my last password manager and soon decided it wasn't worth the effort of maintaining them in two places. So I use an end-to-end encrypted cloud storage solution to backup/sync all of the documents, pictures, etc on my PC and just store the password in 1Password. There's no filing or linking to do and they're all available on all of my devices.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Also, a good solution @missingbits . But not my preferred way to store software licenses together with the billing receipts and / or emails with license keys. ;)

• Hi @khelal, thanks so much for your feedback - I do apologize that Documents aren't working for you in the current implementation. We agree that there's room for improvement with how Document behavior is set up and we are actively working on ways to improve this, but I don't currently have any news to share in this regard.

• mwean
    mwean
    Community Member

Not to pile on here, but I just went through and cleaned up my passwords and the attachments system is super painful. I remember in previous versions where they weren't separate objects, and it was so much better. Maybe you could switch back to that as an option?

• I'll bring you thoughts up with the rest of the team.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

The new archive-feature also struggles with this attachment-issue. Actually you have to manually archive linked entries like attachments when sending an item into the archive. It would be much better if attachments were located in entries directly and not as separate entries. ;)

• Thanks for the feedback! We're going to continue to look into how this works, and see where we might be able to improve how archiving items behaves there.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @Liazard !

Maybe this could help. ;)
    https://1password.community/discussion/121161/this-field-is-not-supported-by-this-version-of-1password

In Linux you are already able to add attachments into entries. Hopefully this feature will come into other apps soon. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.