Chrome extension is not prompting to add passwords after login, do I have to enable this feature ?

I am a new user on a trial coming from LastPass.

I have installed the desktop app & the chrome browser extension.

When i input login credentials to a website there are no pop-up's or prompts to save these credentials to my account.

Auto-fill of credentials does work however.

Is this feature only available for certain subscriptions, do I have to activate it ?

1Password Version: 7.4.753
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Chrome extension is not prompting to add passwords after login.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lewisgoulden! Welcome to the forum!

Is this feature only available for certain subscriptions, do I have to activate it ?

If you are using the 1Password X browser extension, this should work out of the box.

Is this happening with every website, or with a specific one? If it is a specific one, can you let us know the URL so we can test it here too?

• sciman3
    sciman3
    Community Member

I too am coming from LastPass, and experiencing this. The issue is that LastPass would provide a popup after I had logged into a website offering to save my credentials.

1Password offers this popup during the sign-in, before I've actually hit the login button. Often I'm attempting to remember my password for sites I have not yet brought into my password manager, so I don't want to commit a username/password to the vault until I'm sure it's right.

It doesn't happen for me super often, but I just experimented with Ebay by removing my login info from 1Password to cause it to prompt to save the password for me. That's a site that didn't work as I was expecting (1Password offered the save dialog during login), and I know I have run into others.

Hopefully, that's the same issue as lewisgoulden is experiencing. My apologies for hijacking this thread if it isn't.

• ag_michaelc
    edited August 2020

Hey @sciman3. :smile: Welcome to the forum (and to 1Password!). My colleague Cecelia has some excellent thoughts on this topic that she has shared here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/537173/#Comment_537173

For now, you can use the "Save in 1Password" button without fear, because it's pretty easy to update the login should that password not actually be the one you want saved in 1Password. The process would look like this:

1. Fill login credentials
    2. Save Login item
    3. Sign-in failure
    4. Try again, and update existing Login item
    5. Sign-in success, and you're done

As Cecelia mentioned, this is still something we're looking into, so thanks for sharing your feedback here. :smile:

ref: dev/core/core#586

• sciman3
    sciman3
    Community Member

Ah! Thanks @ag_michaelc! And sorry! I did do a search but must have missed that thread!

That's a fair point that Cecelia makes about 1Password having to monitor the input fields. For me, most browsers ask about saving in their own password managers after login anyway (at least I think, I'm usually too quick to click "don't remember" to notice), which means they must be holding onto data temporarily too, so I wasn't too worried about my password manager doing that as well. But I do get where the concern is.

I'll try the method you've described and see how well I adapt. It's nice at least to have a password manager that actually shows up in Safari now!!

Lastly, is there a place for feature requests, particularly for us coming from LastPass? There are a few other things I miss that I wish were in 1Password too.

Thanks again!

• Hey @sciman3. No worries! I'm glad Cecelia's response made sense. :) For feature requests, you can post in the particular app's area of the forum, or you can feel to reach out over email. I monitor the feature requests section of email support pretty heavily, so you may just come into contact with me again there. :smile:

https://support.1password.com/contact/ (second-to-last option at the bottom)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.