Generating compliant word based passwords as default in iOS and 1PasswordX

Options
crystaln
crystaln
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I like my default password generator to be word based, and also be compliant with most password restrictions. Word based passwords are just way easier to manage in the cases where I need to type them manually.

I usually accomplish this by adding A1! to the end of a word based password, so I end up with something like "electric.barber.dinosaurA1!" which meets almost all password restrictions.

There are two major issues with this:

• There does not seem to be a way to default to word based passwords in iOS or in 1PasswordX. It always defaults to character based, which requires tedious configuration in every website and app. Maybe I'm missing a configuration here. That configuration option also doesn't seem to appear with 1PX pop-ups in new password fields, at least in Safari.

• Adding A1! requires extra steps and in some workflows is error prone when it doesn't get picked up by 1P. While I know it seems odd, allowing users to add such a string to word passwords by default would be helpful and (I think) would not compromise security, unless there's some crazy flaw in a website's hashing algorithm.

This is by far the biggest annoyance with 1P. The word based passwords work on less than half of sites, the workflow of adding A1! or similar tends to be awkward and error prone, and generating word passwords requires configuration steps every time on iOS and 1PX.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-7 (70700007) 1Passwor
Extension Version: 7.7-BETA-5
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6 (19G73)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @crystaln!

We have been looking at ways to improve our password generators, and a couple of the things we have been discussing are the ones you brought up ;)

Adding A1! requires extra steps and in some workflows is error prone when it doesn't get picked up by 1P.

I would be curious to know how this is error prone. Can you clarify?

This discussion has been closed.