Family Sharing problems

CJLIVERS
CJLIVERS
Community Member
  1. We are currently syncing thru DropBox. How do I revert to simply sync thru 1 password which i believe is recommended?
  2. My wife has 2 devices (iphone and ipad) ipad is currently not syncing but the iphone is syncing. How do I get the ipad to to start syncing?
  3. I have 2 devices (iMac and iphone) and both of these synchronize without problems.

Thank you. Chuck

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS Catalina 10.15.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• CJLIVERS
    CJLIVERS
    Community Member

We have a Family Plan type subscription

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CJLIVERS! Welcome to the forum!

We are currently syncing thru DropBox. How do I revert to simply sync thru 1 password which i believe is recommended?

Is your data still stored only on Dropbox, or have you moved it to 1Password.com already?

My wife has 2 devices (iphone and ipad) ipad is currently not syncing but the iphone is syncing. How do I get the ipad to to start syncing?

Is the iPhone configured to sync to 1Password.com already, or is it syncing via Dropbox?

• CJLIVERS
    CJLIVERS
    Community Member

I believe it is through dropbox still.

• Gotcha. Thanks @CJLIVERS. The first thing to do would be to make sure every device is signed into the appropriate 1Password account (e.g. your devices should be signed into your account, and your wife's devices into her account). Each account has its own unique credentials, even when part of the same membership. This means your email, Secret Key, and Master Password are different than your wife's. Instructions for adding the account to to apps can be found here:

Get the 1Password apps

(if the app is already installed you can skip the step of installing it)

Once all the devices have the app and are signed into the correct account the next step would be making sure any legacy standalone vaults have been migrated and there is no Primary vault remaining on the device.

• Mac: Use the vault switcher (upper left of the 1Password app) to switch to the Personal vault and then select Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account
    • iOS: Within the 1Password app navigate to Settings > Advanced > Migrate Data to Your Account

Once complete you should both have the same data on each of your devices as you have at https://my.1password.com/, and there should not be a vault called 'Primary' on any of the devices. If there already is no Primary vault on a given device you may not see these options — you know things are right when there is no Primary vault. I hope that helps!

Ben

• CJLIVERS
    CJLIVERS
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

From the app on my iphone

• In my family i have a private and a shared vault
    • On dropbox i have a primary vault which is identified in the 1password app as the vault for saving

From the app on the iMac

• in my family i have a private and a shared vault
    • Help/Tools/Migrate stand alone vaults is grayed out

Should I delete the primary vault from the iPhone?

Chuck

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@CJLIVERS:

Should I delete the primary vault from the iPhone?

Yes, we recommend only using your Private and Shared vault. Make sure you don't have anything you need in this Primary vault (if you do, move them first).

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@ag_ana: There can be great utility in creating additional family vaults to be shared by some, but not all, family plan members. For example, parents may wish to share (some) things between each other but not with their children.

• CJLIVERS
    CJLIVERS
    Community Member

Ben and ag_ana. Thank you so very much. I have all my devices working now thanks to your helfpul instructions. I one more question. What is best practice for "Vault for Saving"? Shared or Private? and why....

Chuck

• The 'Vault for Saving' is where any newly created items will land by default. We generally recommend setting this to Private, with the thought that it is better to accidentally not share credentials than to accidentally share credentials. That said, if your intention is to share everything that you save, then Shared may be a reasonable choice.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.