New Chrome extension pattern of use?

winniewms
winniewms
Community Member
edited September 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm struggling with the pattern of use in the new chrome extension, and hoping someone can tell me what I should be doing. When I'm saving something, it's before I know that the username and password are correct, as opposed to after. It's there any way to save the login I just entered, and know is accurate? It used to prompt me after I entered a username and password. I'm concerned because I've already overwritten a couple things that were newer in the current pattern of usage. And sometimes when I'm creating a new account, I don't have the save options for 1password, so I have to remember it, log out, and then save it when I log back in. I feel like I must be missing something.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @winniewms!

I'm struggling with the pattern of use in the new chrome extension, and hoping someone can tell me what I should be doing.

Can you please clarify this part? What do you mean by "new Chrome extension"?

When I'm saving something, it's before I know that the username and password are correct, as opposed to after.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but why would you be saving something if you don't know it's correct? If you could clarify the steps you are following, from beginning to end, it might help us understand the process you are following.

• winniewms
    winniewms
    Community Member

So, I go to a website, and it prompts me to log in. I type in the username and password. And before clicking login, if I want to save them, I need to save them now. But I might have a typo. Or my husband might have updated them since I last used them. So if I save, I overwrite something more desireable. But if I wait to click log in, now I can no longer save them, as far as I know. that clearer? By new chrome extension, it just prompted me to update the extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@winniewms:

So, I go to a website, and it prompts me to log in. I type in the username and password. And before clicking login, if I want to save them, I need to save them now. But I might have a typo. Or my husband might have updated them since I last used them.

I would just click on the Login button at that point. 1Password automatically pops up asking you if you would like to save those credentials in the app anyway: if the website allows you to login, just accept the 1Password prompt to save. If the credentials you entered are wrong, you can dismiss the 1Password prompt to avoid saving them until you enter the right ones.

By new chrome extension, it just prompted me to update the extension.

Looking at your first post, I see that the extension version you are using is 4.7.5.90. If that's indeed the one you are using, there were no major changes in the way it works since the previous version :+1:

• winniewms
    winniewms
    Community Member

That's what it used to do, but it doesn't seem to be popping up any more for new logins. It used to put a separate popup box when I would save something new. Now I'm getting a smaller box right below the username and right below the password prompting me to save before I have clicked login, but not after.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@winniewms:

It used to put a separate popup box when I would save something new. Now I'm getting a smaller box right below the username and right below the password prompting me to save before I have clicked login, but not after.

Can you confirm that the extension version you posted is the correct one? From what you are describing, I start to suspect that you are actually using the new 1Password X browser extension, currently at version 1.21.0.

• winniewms
    winniewms
    Community Member

I apologize. You are correct. I did look before I posted. But both are installed as extensions, but only the X is active. Can I revert? Or is this the future anyhow and I need to figure out new patterns of usage.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@winniewms:

I think in the future there will only be one extension, and I think the direction is going towards 1Password X in general. But at the moment we still offer both option, so you can still choose the one you prefer :)

If you would like to keep using the old extension, you can just uninstall 1Password X from your browser. Otherwise let me know if you would like to keep exploring 1Password X, and we can take a closer look at the new procedures with you :+1:

• winniewms
    winniewms
    Community Member

I'll revert for now. Since you understand the issues I was having, I think, maybe just keep them in mind.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @winniewms! Understood :+1:

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.