Native "Application detection" for auto searching 1PW for related vault items?

Options
melorama
melorama
Community Member

I use a LOT of Mac apps that often require me to login using a password, which I keep in my 1Password vault.

I noticed that 1Password will actually auto-find vault items for some apps, like Adobe apps,, which is super awesome. But I would like to be able to do this for other, less common, apps that are not currently auto-detected by 1PW.

I would like to be able to manually define an association of a specific app with a specific vault item (or multiple items). So if a "mapped" application is currently in the foreground, and you invoke 1Password Mini, it will show you the vault items associated with that application, so you can copy and paste any relevant vault info into the app.

Please note that I am not requesting that 1Password be able to "auto fill" passwords in third party apps. I know that that isn't particularly practical. I'm just requesting some method of allowing the user to define the same sort of "app detection" that 1Password currently appears to be doing with my Adobe apps.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @melorama

Great idea. :) This is currently possible by adding an app:// link to the item you want matched. For example, here is a Login item that I want to show up whenever I open 1Password mini from Finder:

The bit that goes after the app:// prefix is the app's "bundle ID." You can find this a couple of different ways:

1. With the app you want to map to in the foreground, open 1Password mini, and click the "+ Generate Password" button in the upper right. The resulting generated password will have a website field with the appropriate URL on it.
    2. If you're comfortable with the command line, this command will give you the bundle ID: osascript -e 'id of app "APP NAME"' (replace APP NAME with the name of the app).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.