To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

PW for app works -- have secret key, recovered email... your website rejects my Master PW

Options
MacAdvisor
MacAdvisor
Community Member

So let me get this right.... I need my Password in order to RESET my Password? WTF?

Sign in to your 1Password(.com) account:
Email
Secret Key
Master Password

If I need to Reset Master PW:
It requires my current PW --- wait a sec... that's EXACTLY why I'm trying to reset it -- your website rejects it.

@mac.com

YES, I have my Secret Key (and YES -- its correct!)

YES, the Master Password I use opens my app and it works.

YES, I saved my 1Password.com "Master Password" yet it does not work.

Recovering or Reseting my 1Password Master Password does not work without entering a my now rejected PW.

What do you recommend I do (other than delete my account, cancel my subscription) and just buy the freaking stand-alone SW (which works SO MUCH BETTER than your painful subscription ever has).

TYVMIA!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud (because 1PW service conflicts every time)
Referrer: forum-search:reset password

Comments

• MacAdvisor
    MacAdvisor
    Community Member
    Options

As in, above error message when logged into App -- yet unable to change website PW.

No PW works here -- not the app nor the website/account PW...

• Hi @MacAdvisor

I apologize for the frustration. Do you have a 'Primary' vault in 1Password for Mac? It appears you do, which means the password you use to unlock 1Password is not your 1Password.com account password. When a Primary vault exists, the password for that vault is what unlocks 1Password. It looks like you also have your account added to 1Password for Mac. If you look inside your 'Personal' vault, do you see a Login item for 1Password.com there? If so, that should have the password you're looking for saved on it.

Please let me know.

Ben

• MacAdvisor
    MacAdvisor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply Ben. Yes, yet again I am immensely frustrated with 1Password... (but its still a good core product -- I just find all the "new and improved" ancillary services are hinderances to productivity and in no way helpful... but hey, that's my experience).

Yes, there is a password saved in my Primary Vault on my Mac for 1password.com -- sadly, that password does not work on your website. That's what I am referring to... ALL efforts to retrieve or re-set the 1password.com PW fail. I had gotten an email that my card is/has expired so I need to log-in to update it.

I use the Primary vault on my Mac (synced to iCloud) because I find your hosted sync service painful. A REAL deal-breaker for me as all attachments (I have thousands) are split off the original item and become many seperate non-linked items). This has been a complete debacle. After LicenceKeeper folded -- I have many software records which, by there very nature need codes and text snippets linked to the original item.

Wondering "if" I simply bite the bullet and buy a stand-alone licence to 1PW (even though my unused/unloved "subscription" still lasts like 6-months) if that will allow me to still keep my attachments AND not ever have to deal with 1Password.com issues? If that be the case... maybe getting your website PW issue to work for me is a mute point...?

Thanks again and hope to get a workable resolution.

• @MacAdvisor

Yes, there is a password saved in my Primary Vault on my Mac for 1password.com -- sadly, that password does not work on your website.

The item you need would actually be in the "Personal" or "Private" vault, rather than "Primary." Primary is a standalone vault unassociated with your membership. When you create a membership 'Starter Kit' items are created in the built-in personal vault, one of those being a Login item for 1Password.com. If you haven't deleted this item 1Password updates it whenever your account password changes.

That's what I am referring to... ALL efforts to retrieve or re-set the 1password.com PW fail

The only way to reset a 1Password account password is through account recovery:

Recover accounts for family or team members

This process requires that there be another organizer/admin on your membership that can initiate the recovery for your account. Unfortunately that does mean that recovery is not possible for individual membership. It is also not available for standalone vaults.

A REAL deal-breaker for me as all attachments (I have thousands) are split off the original item and become many seperate non-linked items).

This should not be the case if using the built-in migration process in modern versions of 1Password. While Documents are considered first-class citizens in membership vaults and as such do appear as their own records in the Documents category, they should still be linked to the items they were originally attached to.

Wondering "if" I simply bite the bullet and buy a stand-alone licence to 1PW (even though my unused/unloved "subscription" still lasts like 6-months) if that will allow me to still keep my attachments AND not ever have to deal with 1Password.com issues? If that be the case... maybe getting your website PW issue to work for me is a mute point...?

I really don't think that is going to be a viable solution here; sorry. We haven't advertised licenses in over 2 years. While it is still technically possible to purchase one, membership is the way forward. Membership is where all of our development efforts are focused, and are likely to remain for the foreseeable future.

If all of your data is in your Primary vault, it may make sense to delete the existing membership, sign up for a new one, migrate your Primary vault using the latest migration code in the current version of 1Password 7, and then move any credit remaining on the old membership to the new. If you'd like to give that a try, you can delete the current membership following the prompts here:

https://my.1password.com/support

Then you can create a new membership (where you'll pick a new Master Password) here:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

I would recommend using the same password as you're currently using to unlock the Primary vault, to avoid confusion. When you add this new account to 1Password 7 for Mac you can migrate the data to the account using these instructions:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once you're set with that our billing team can move any credit remaining for you. They can be reached at support@1password.com via email. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.