Features on 1Password v6 that I cannot find on v7; other issues

jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited August 2020 in Mac
  1. Version 6 had the feature where you could click on the login item and it would take you to the site and login you in. Version 7 does not consistently log in to the page; I have to frequently perform the extra clcik to Autofill. And I don't see any setting where this could be controlled. Can you explain?
  2. Version 6 used to support dragging a login item to the browser shortcut bar, which would then act as a bookmark plus autofill. The previously created items from Version 6 no longer work. But when I try to drag an item to the bookmarks bar in Version 7, it puts a bookmark with a URL like onepassword7://open_and_fill/longrandomcodeofabout120characters. And when you click on that, it wants to open the 1P application instead of working that way it did before. Can you explain?
  3. If 1Password desktop is open, but no browser is open, and one clicks on a website in a login item with "open and fill" set, what happens is that X opens, but no browser. This is counter-intuitive and does not smoothly lead to the next step. Can you explain?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jasimon9

All of these appear to be a result of using 1Password X instead of the companion desktop app extension. If you uninstall 1Password X and instead install the companion extension (here), do these items work as expected?

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I uninstalled X from Chrome, quit Chrome, quit 1P desktop, and restarted 1P desktop. Dragged a login from 1P desktop to browser bookmarks bar. I can provide screencasts if you like. But for now, here are some screen shots.

Newly added icon in circle, and showing URL

What happens when you click on icon

What happens when you click on "open 1P"

This does not give desired result as it appears you are starting over at that point to search for the website in the extension.

I am not sure if this is what is to be expected, but it is not the behavior from 1P 6, where you click on the icon and you get the "open and fill" action that takes you to the page and logs you in.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

In contrast, in 1P 6 a bookmark looks like this:

In this case there is the URL of the website and a query string starting with onepasswdfill and more. The URL in 1P 7 starts with onepassword7. So you can see why one goes to a website and the other opens 1P7.

Something is not right.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

In general it seems version 7 takes several extra steps. Version 6 used to provide the ability to click on a login in 1P, be taken to the website, the credentials filled in, and the submit button pressed. I am definitely having to do some of these steps separately. That is it now takes 3 steps where one used to suffice.

There used to be settings on a per login basis for "open and fill". And also "and then submit". But I cannot find any settings like that.

• @jasimon9

It has been some time since we've recommended 1Click Bookmarks, and we no longer have any documentation on them:

Search — 1Click Bookmark

That said, it is still possible to create them, but you'll need to make new ones for them to work with 1Password 7. The ones 1Password 7 makes are prefixed with onepassword7:// instead of https://. And yes, you do have to accept the security prompt from your browser each time you click one asking if you'd like to have the link open using 1Password. Autosubmit is no longer a feature of 1Password. It was removed from all of our extensions when Safari stopped supporting it. I recorded how this works on my system:

[Here's the link to the video.](https://bucket.agilebits.com/tmp/ben/2020082190g0j.mp4)

Is that not how it is working on your system? What is your default browser set to in System Preferences > General?

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Version 6 was easier and quicker. Is there any way to downgrade?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's not something we can recommend @jasimon9. 1Password is a security product, and therefore should be kept up to date if possible. If you want to downgrade manually despite our recommendations, you are certainly free to do that, but it's not a supported procedure, and as such we would not be able to help with that.

We would rather continue working on the latest version and keep improving it ;)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

1P 6 usage

• click icon in toolbar: browsers navigates to site, fills in the credentials, submits the page

1P 7 usage

• click icon in toolbar: 1P mini opens
    • click Autofill: 1P fills in credentials
    • click submit button on site

What used to take one click now takes three separate clicks.

I understand that features were removed due making your product work the same in all browsers as it does in Safari. I rarely use Safari btw. My only use of Safari is the infrequent verification that our web pages are rendering properly, which is not very necessary due to the similarity of the Chrome rendering engine.

So you could say "user is complaining about having to do three clicks were only was was previously necessary--what's the big deal?"

But here is something that partly affects my concern: I still have bookmarks created by 1P 6. They still have the website URL along with the onepasswdvault or onepasswdfill parameter. And they still work just fine to produce the "one-click 1P 6 experience". While newly created bookmarks having the onepassword7:// protocol require the round about procedure with extra site loading and navigation.

What is wrong with this picture?

I am tempted to set up a VM with 1P 6 in it for the purpose of creating the old style bookmarks. Better yet, figuring out how to create the old style parameters using 1P V7. My first few attempts were not successful however.

While doing the above testing, I discovered however that the "open and fill" when done from within 1P 7 desktop does still work with one click.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I am still confused as to how to best use 1P. I have been experimenting with X verses Desktop plus Mini. I would like a simple workflow, but that does not seem possible now.

Issues:
    1. When you update a password in X, it seems not to get updated in the Desktop.
    2. Where 1P used to not only remember passwords, it also streamlined navigation. But the navigation is taking a lot of extra steps now.
    3. I still have the question about multiple URLs using the same password. I was advised to set up a second URL in the login. However, when using them this way, they don't seem to offer all the choices, but just go to the first website.

There are many major sites that give different functionality in this way. The have different features on different URLs but use one password. For example: Microsoft. There is Bing Ads and SkyDrive One Note. I used to have different login items in 1P to work with such sites.

But now I am warned about reused passwords. If this Watchtower function is to be useful, you really need to eliminate reused ones, or you constantly have to search through and all the ones that are "ok", to find the ones that are issues. So to be clean, you should not have reused passwords. Instead you should have a single login with multiple websites. But if I do that, then I have to use a separate procedure to open the login in 1P, and pick the site. It is just a lot of extra work. And it sometimes get into a failure mode, where the wrong URL is submitted no matter what

And example of the bug or failure comes from another site, which is my VoIP provider. I used to have different URLs to get to different features without having to drill down extra steps.

In the screen shot, I have Intermedia and Intermedia VM. The old method was just to type "Inter" into mini, and select one or the other, to manage the full service, or go directly to Voice Mail. Now Watchtower says they are reused passwords. So I try to put Intermedia VM info into the main Intermedia login. So far so good, but these are the steps I need to take now:

1. Open X and type "inter" as shown above.
    2. I try to pick the right one. But not enough is shown of the URL to allow me to know what to pick.
    3. Even more trouble happens when there are three URLs because then you have to scroll.
    4. When I pick one, "Go" sometimes just takes me to the login and it works, but I still have to again pick it as in the next screen shot.

Please note this means I have to use 1P twice to login.

1. Other times it does not pick the one I am clicking on, but instead fills from the wrong one, switching me to the wrong website. When this happens, I cannot even use 1P to login as it gives me the wrong website no matter what I do.

It used to be simple; not so much anymore.

My workaround at this point would be the following, since setting up multiple URLs does not work:

1. Just keep the multiple logins for these cases.
    2. When using Watchtower, learn to recognize which warnings I have to ignore.

Not smooth.

• Hi @jasimon9

I apologize for the delayed reply.

What is wrong with this picture?

The problem here is that the 1Password 6-style 1Click Bookmarks have the potential of revealing information about your 1Password data to the sites you visit and extensions you have installed in your browser. That is why they were discontinued in favor of the newer URLs. More clicks, yes. More security, yes.

I am still confused as to how to best use 1P. I have been experimenting with X verses Desktop plus Mini. I would like a simple workflow, but that does not seem possible now.

I believe we've covered this in other threads at this point? Please let me know if there are still outstanding concerns here.

So to be clean, you should not have reused passwords. Instead you should have a single login with multiple websites. But if I do that, then I have to use a separate procedure to open the login in 1P, and pick the site.

Correct.

And it sometimes get into a failure mode, where the wrong URL is submitted no matter what

Could you please elaborate about this? Under what circumstances does this happen?

I try to pick the right one. But not enough is shown of the URL to allow me to know what to pick.

You can change the labels, as a possible solution here. Right now you have them both labeled as "website" — but one could be labeled "voicemail website," for example.

Please let me know if that helps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.