Safari Extension

projectguru
projectguru
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Mac

I am thinking about subscribing to the family plan. The thing is, about a couple of years ago I tried 1PW Version 7 but had problems with the Safari extension. Is this still the case? I don't remember exactly what the problem was but it was a nightmare to go back to 1PW version 6.

Furthermore, I am now confused because I just read an article (link below) which states "Currently, 1Password X only works on Chrome, Firefox, and Opera—so far, there's no Safari version".

https://zapier.com/blog/lastpass-vs-1password/

What gives? I really don't want to sidegrade to 1PW 7 just to find out again that something is no working.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @projectguru

1Password 6 ceased development several years ago. I would recommend using 1Password 7.

1Password X is not supported in Safari, though we have the inline menu, which behaves much like 1Password X within the 1Password beta. I don't know when this beta series will wrap up. I would think it would not be too much longer, but I am not a developer. ;)

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member

@ ag_tommy. Thanks for your reply. I don't however, understand "though we have the inline menu, which behaves much like 1Password X within the 1Password beta."

If you can kindly explain this.

Thanks

• @projectguru

No worries; I'd be happy to try to explain. 1Password X has a menu that shows up within the web page when actions involving 1Password are available (such as generating a password or filling a Login). This is different from how the companion extension works. The companion extension doesn't have any interface within the web page itself. This will change with regard to Safari in the next release: Safari will be gaining the 1Password X-like "in page" / "inline" interface.

Ben

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

@Ben

Are you saying that in the next release of 1PW the currently non-working extension will work?

And when is that release coming?

• No; I apologize. I think the wording used in that article has caused a fair bit of confusion here. Let's take a step back:

We have a fully functional browser extension for Safari. That extension is not 1Password X, which is a separate product, which works differently. The extension for Safari is built-into the 1Password 7 for Mac application. You'll get it automagically when you install the app.

Ben

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member

Ok. I'm going to try 1Password X again. A couple of question before I do so:

1. Do I need to uninstall my current 1Password 6 app to do this? If not, can I use both simultaneously?
    2. Do I need to manually migrate all my passwords from 1Password 6 to 1Password X?
    3. If I decide that I don't like 1Password X will it be easy to revert back to 1Password 6?
    4. What happens to my 1Password app on my iPhone when I switch to 1Password X?
    5. Money back guarantee?

One other question: What's the difference between 1Password 6 and 1Password 7? Any good reason to upgrade?

Thanks, Xavier

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2020

To use 1Password X you'd need to migrate your data to a 1Password account, which is best done from 1Password 7:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You can use 1Password X alongside 1Password for Mac, though the two do not integrate with each other. If you follow the instructions above (being sure to delete the Primary vault) they will have the same data.

If I decide that I don't like 1Password X will it be easy to revert back to 1Password 6?

That's really not something we could recommend, however, if you decide you don't like 1Password X, you could use 1Password 7 for Mac and the companion browser extension instead.

What happens to my 1Password app on my iPhone when I switch to 1Password X?

This is covered in the migration guide above: you'd sign into your 1Password account on your iPhone (and verify the Primary vault is deleted there as well). Then 1Password X and 1Password for iOS will have the same data.

Money back guarantee?

1Password accounts come with a 14-day fully functional free trial if you sign up through our website: https://1password.com/sign-up/
    If you cancel within that trial period you will not be billed.

1Password refund policy

One other question: What's the difference between 1Password 6 and 1Password 7? Any good reason to upgrade?

You can read about some of the changes that came with 1Password 7 here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

That release happened 2+ years ago at this point, so a lot has evolved / been added since then as well. :)

Ben

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

You said that migrating my data to 1Password X is best done from 1Password 7.

This means I would have to purchase 1Password 7 first PLUS pay whatever the cost of 1Password X membership.

Any way to avoid the 1Password 7 cost since it will be only used temporarily for the migration?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks, Xavier

• @projectguru

Membership includes everything you need — 1Password X and 1Password 7. It includes access to the latest versions of all of our apps for any of your compatible devices. :) One of our goals with building the membership service was simplifying the purchasing process. With membership, there is no need to purchase different versions for different devices, upgrades, etc. It's all there. That also gives you the flexibility to use whichever setup ends up being the most convenient for you:

• 1Password 7 for Mac + 1Password X
    • 1Password X alone
    • 1Password 7 for Mac + the companion extension, without 1Password X

Whichever you find preferable. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.