Auto-fill behavior changed

dosto233
dosto233
Community Member
edited September 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Is there a proper way to report changed Auto-fill behavior for a particular website? I use an internal (publicly accessible) website and upon the last update 1Password is no longer autofilling the username/password fields. In my case the password is now entered into the username field and the password field is left blank. I can't post the site here on the forum but can provide it to support staff.

Also, is there a proper way to troubleshoot the website using Firefox developer edition? I'd like to help myself as much as I can but need some guidance on workarounds / analysis.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dosto233! Welcome to the forum!

For public websites, you can report them here in the forum (you are in the right section). For private ones, you can email them to us at support+extensions@1password.com :)

Also, is there a proper way to troubleshoot the website using Firefox developer edition? I'd like to help myself as much as I can but need some guidance on workarounds / analysis.

We can certainly help you with that. Do you have any specific questions? I can send them to one of our extension experts for you :+1:

• dosto233
    dosto233
    Community Member

Hi,

I've emailed the website address to the address you provided. I hope to receive some insight into the problem soon.

As for the troubleshooting into the future, I was just looking for generalized advice on what to look for, what tools to use and how to analyze a website when autofill doesn't work as expected.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dosto233:

I've emailed the website address to the address you provided. I hope to receive some insight into the problem soon.

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

As for the troubleshooting into the future, I was just looking for generalized advice on what to look for, what tools to use and how to analyze a website when autofill doesn't work as expected.

The first thing we normally recommend trying is saving a login manually in the browser:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

This is often enough to make 1Password work with a website. If that doesn't work, I know you can add some custom fields to 1Password items based on how those fields are named on the website. But we normally try this on a case by case basis, because not all websites are built the same :)

I will be happy to send your question to one of our extension experts though :+1:

ref: LNQ-79498-941

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020

Hey @dosto233 ,
    Ana asked me to take a look and see if I can provide additional info here :)

Basically when autofilling doesn't work as it should, the first thing to try is to create a new login, as Ana suggested, and see if that works. The reasoning here is that we often update 1Password's autofill logic and it may affect existing logins from time to time. Getting 1Password to autofill on as many websites as possible is a never-ending task, so we're keeping at it constantly, changing 1Password's autofilling logic as necessary.

If a newly saved login does not work, the next step would be to report it to us. You can report via email, as I can see you already did, or you can report it by opening a new forum discussion :)
    Once we confirm there's an autofilling issue, we forward it to our developers and they further improve 1Password using that website as a test case.

If you'd like to troubleshoot it yourself and get a working login, the best thing to do is to get the field's HTML name or ID from the website, and make a custom field out of it in the login item's details:

1. Right click the problematic field on the website and select "Inspect" to view its source code.
    2. Copy the field's "name" or "id" (e.g. name="user_name", then copy the "user_name" part).
    3. Open the login item in 1Password and click on "Edit" to be able to edit it.
    4. Under the website URL field you'll see some empty sections you can manually input data into. Select an empty Label and paste the name/id you copied from the website, then input your actual credential under it.
    5. On the right side of the custom field, you'll be able to change the field's type. You can see the field's type in the HTML code as well. It will usually be either a text field or a password field, but sometimes it can also be an email field, a "tel" field (short for telephone number) etc. Change the custom field's type accordingly.
    6. Click on "Save", then test autofilling on the website. If 1Password is able to match the field's name/id with the one on the website, 1Password will attempt to autofill that field.

We can also help you with that in certain cases, so feel free to let us know if you didn't manage and what you have tried so far, and we'll see what we can do to get your login to work manually until we release an update that fixes it :)

This discussion has been closed.