Biometric log in on Windows 7?

Hi there - Given that Windows Hello is not supported on pre Windows 10 devices, is it possible to use a fingerprint scanner or facial recognition to log into 1Password on a Win 7 device?

My work laptop cannot be upgraded to Win 10 until our office fully reopens and we end remote working (probably 2021) so I would love to find a way to say me manually rekeying my login password every time my device has been idle for more than 10 minutes. I have a USB fingerprint scanner that is win 7 compatible. Can I use that to log into 1password?

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: win 7 professional SP1
Sync Type: unknown

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @miles_mendoza,

In 1Password 7 for Windows we support only Windows Hello as way to access 1Password using fingerprint, facial recognition, or a secure PIN.

From my understanding, Windows Hello works on Windows 10 and is not supported on Windows 7, so I am afraid that you won't be able to use your USB fingerprint scanner to unlock 1Password. Sorry about that.

In your shoes, I would probably try to reach out to your IT department and convince them to upgrade to Windows 10 sooner. Windows 7 is old and the extended support for it ended on January 14, 2020.

Let me know if you have other questions, we are always here for you. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.