Password history not visible

The previous password history is not visible in 1PasswordX (and also 1Password Mac beta).

This caused me to end up having to do a password reset on an account when attempting to update a password (where the password change workflow required both old and new passwords at once) because the new password had been saved within 1Password (but not on the site), and the old password was no longer available...

Its not a usual problem to run into but a complete pain when it does happen. I have now found you can get the password history on the main 1Password web interface, but...

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-8 (70700008) 1Passwor
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nigelm!

You are right that you cannot see the password history in 1Password X yet, but 1Password for Mac still shows it for me. If you are running the beta, do you see this menu if you click on the little down arrow next to the password field?

• nigelm
    nigelm
    Community Member

Ah - had missed that move into the menu there...

Thanks @ag_ana

Nigel.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @nigelm! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• JustANAG
    JustANAG
    Community Member

I am using 1Password 7 (ver. 7.7) on my Mac, which is the latest version (according to "Check for Updates"). I also no longer see password history. I also do not see the dropdown menu that you show above. Password history is a useful feature, especially when I am required to change passwords frequently, and now let 1Password randomly generate them.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JustANAG:

Make sure the item you are looking at actually has a password history. It will only show up for items where you changed the password in the past.

• JustANAG
    JustANAG
    Community Member

Does 1Password no longer keep (albeit temporarily) a copy of the passwords that it generates without hitting "Save"?

I seem to recall that 1Password used to do so. Often a login page has specific requirements (ie., a letter, a number, caps, etc.) which requires changing the randomly generated password to fit the criteria -- having a copy of that randomly generated password makes it easier when creating a login (or changing an existing password). Do I now have to Save every randomly generated password even though I'm not going to use it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JustANAG:

1Password stores automatically every generated password you submit to a website. When you do that, a Password entry is created to recover this password if necessary. Do you see that password in the Passwords category?

• JustANAG
    JustANAG
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

No, apparently my submitted passwords are not saved anywhere - the first place I looked for them was under "Passwords", and the only passwords listed were several days old. That is why I came to this Support Community to see if things have changed as a result of the latest update or if I am doing something wrong.

As for your previous comment regarding password history, I am still NOT showing either the previous passwords on the app (which I recall seeing before), nor does the dropdown menu you describe above appear on the webpage. As a test, I used a bank login entry that was created in 2009(!) and just modified last month, so I KNOW that it should have a history.

• mrburrito
    mrburrito
    Community Member

Found this thread after I had the exact same issue and could no longer find the "View Old Passwords" button on my items in the Mac client. Glad to see that capability still exists locally, but it seems like a hidden feature now -- especially since it used to be quite obvious on the entry page. Not sure if there's a way to guide users to that history or indicate that it exists instead of burying it in a drop-down menu that is also hidden until you mouseover. This was a pretty frustrating experience this morning when I needed to change a password!

I feel like this is one of the rare instances that 1Password has let me down on the UI side. Usually features are much easier to find!

• @JustANAG, could you do the following test for me?

• Visit facebook.com
    • Open 1Password mini (click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar)
    • Click + Generate Password
    • Click Save & Copy or Save & Fill depending on how the button is labeled
    • Open the main 1Password window

Do you see a Password item (key icon) for facebook.com?

• @mrburrito thank you for the feedback. I have shared your insight with the UX team here at 1Password. :smile:

• mrburrito
    mrburrito
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_michaelc!

• You're very welcome, @mrburrito. Let us know if you have any other feedback about the 7.7 release, whether that's anything else about the reworked item details or something else entirely. :blush:

• JustANAG
    JustANAG
    Community Member

I followed your instructions above, and I do get a new password entry for facebook.com

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear that, @JustANAG. It sounds like that portion of things is working as we'd expect. Do you happen to have any of the URLs for websites that didn't save Password items for you? I'd like to test it out on my end to see if I get the same behavior. In my experience, Password items will be created whenever I don't save the item in 1Password based after being prompted to. For example, when I fill a password on twitter.com, then submit the form, I'm prompted with the following screenshot. If I click on Not Now, then a Password item would remain. If I click Save Login, then the Password item should be converted to a Login item therefore the Password item no longer exists.

For anyone else stumbling across this thread in the 1Password X forum, please note that we're referring to 1Password for Mac in this case.

• JustANAG
    JustANAG
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

My issue is not with saving (or not saving) generated passwords - my issue is that I can no longer see the password history.

As an example, here is the sign-in page to this Support Community. This is what I see:

As you can see, password history is not an option.

Also, in 1Password itself (the app), password history does not show up anywhere.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@JustANAG Ah, I see. I believe the confusion may have been around the fact that you're using the 1Password for Mac app, but we're in the 1Password X forum. 1Password X is an extension we offer, but it's separate from the 1Password for Mac app.

While you've never been able to view password history in the menu directly underneath fields, you can view it in the desktop app. In the 1Password for Mac app, you'll find password history by clicking the down arrow next to your password. Here's a screenshot for you so you know what I mean:

• JustANAG
    JustANAG
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Yes!

Thank you for pointing out the new location of the Password History. I was used to seeing it right on the page, not in a drop down menu. In fact, I did not even notice the down arrow at all!

As for being in the wrong forum, I searched the Support Community for "missing Password History" and it brought me to this discussion -- the first comment referred to 1Password Mac beta as well as 1Password X, so I assumed that the discussion applied to my situation as well. My apologies!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries at all @JustANAG! What matters is that we get to the bottom of things :)

• Julio Bouza
    Julio Bouza
    Community Member

The password history value used to be searchable; any plans to bring that functionality back? With so much personal data showing up on dark web cyber monitoring, sometimes these alerts do not contain the source but do alert part of the password. I used to be able to search the partial password on my alerts to determine the source allowing me to change the password for the source and now I can't search in 1Password against the password history value :(.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Julio Bouza – thanks for chiming in!

I understand why that'd come in handy from time to time. That said, if the breached password was part of the password history, that'd mean that you've already changed the password and therefore your account (with the updated password) wouldn't be breached. Perhaps I'm not seeing the entire picture, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, I just gave it a try in the 1Password for Mac app, and I was able to search passwords in my password history after typing the password in the search bar, then clicking "Expand Search to All Fields". While that functionality isn't (and never has been, as far as I know) available in 1Password in the browser, you should be able to switch to the desktop app for a more thorough search. Let me know if you have any trouble.

• natb
    natb
    Community Member

Just want to chime in that I also think the new location for password history is way too hidden. I even used the "reveal password" option from that menu shortly before and managed to overlook the "view password history" option. I looked all of the "expected" places: scroll to the top and bottom of the item entry, check all the menus, right-click on the password field, right-click on the item in the items list. And then Googled, to find this thread (which was the 2nd result, but the first that actually answered the problem—first hit was for an earlier version).

Maybe this is just the way of interfaces, and I'll have to get used to it. But I really think that anything that isn't directly visible in the UI should be accessible via the menu commands—having interacting with a hidden UI element (like a drop-down menu) as the only way to access a feature feels very un-Mac-like. I expect those sorts of things (ditto contextual menus) to be the "shortcut" access method, but to still always have the option of accessing whatever command or feature I'm looking for via the menu system.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @natb ,
    Thank you kindly for the feedback here, it is much appreciated!

We'll forward it as needed.

This discussion has been closed.