...Android apps - Gmail, Amazon, etc don't require sign-in?

ethan417
ethan417
Community Member

Hi
Thanks to your incredible help, I am becoming more and more comfortable with 1Password on my Windows 10 PC.
As I turn my attention to securing my Galaxy S8 phone - I have a number of apps: Gmail, Amazon, etc., that require a PW to access on my PC but don't ask for a PW on my Galaxy.
How and where do I change app log-in settings to secure my phone.
Many many thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ethan417!

As I turn my attention to securing my Galaxy S8 phone - I have a number of apps: Gmail, Amazon, etc., that require a PW to access on my PC but don't ask for a PW on my Galaxy.

Apps often work in a different way than websites: once you login, you typically remain logged in there, unlike on websites which log you out automatically. Are you sure that what you are seeing is not just a setting in your Android apps?

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

Even after I shut off my phone and restart it - I can access all apps that require a PW on my PC

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

That is also what I see on my phone: I typically only have to login to an app right after I install it. I think the only solution would be to manually log out from each of your apps if you would like this, or perhaps look into their settings and see if there is a way to configure them so they require you to login every time you open them.

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

For my phone to be as secure as my PC, I would expect that each time I open an app, that app would require me to enter a PW.
    This is not the case with my phone apps.
    At the very least, I assumed that once I closed all apps and shut down my phone, that all apps would require that I enter the PW once I restarted the phone.
    I have been looking a settings for Gmail - I have not found the settings to control PW access.
    Any thoughts?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ethan417:

Both Android and iOS work very differently from Windows and Mac devices. But the behavior you describe is the same on mobile and desktop devices for email apps, for example: you don't need to enter your Outlook for Windows password for each of your accounts every time you launch the email app, for example.

At the very least, I assumed that once I closed all apps and shut down my phone, that all apps would require that I enter the PW once I restarted the phone.

To be honest, I cannot remember ever having a phone that requires me to enter my password for each app every time I login. I am not sure this is possible without logging out manually every time from each app.

I have been looking a settings for Gmail - I have not found the settings to control PW access.

Looking at the Gmail app, it looks like once you add your email account to it, you will be able to access your emails just by launching the app. This works the same in every email app I know. The only way would be to manually remove the Gmail account from the Gmail app, and add it again every time.

To clarify: this is not a setting in 1Password, but rather with each Android app you use, and with the way mobile operating systems work.

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

How can I make my phone more secure.
    Can I use 1PW to access my phone?
    That would enable me to at least have a more secure entry point to my data?

• @ethan417 If your phone is PIN or pattern protected, it should be secured. You can't access any apps, including 1Password, until the device is unlocked, so there's no way to use 1Password for Android to unlock your device. However, if you have 1Password on another device, you can save the phone's unlock code there.

Let us know if you have more questions!

• ethan417
    ethan417
    Community Member

Thank you - it's just another PW I have to keep in my head - oye vey!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.