Username got changed in 1Password during password change

hsafer
hsafer
Community Member
edited September 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I went to login to a bank account just now (https://login.bankhapoalim.co.il/) and the 1Password Chrome extension entered the username "dummypass". This kind of surprised me. I looked in the desktop app, and it also showed this username. I managed to find my real username and get into my bank account ok, but I am puzzled about how this change happened. I changed my password yesterday because the old password was about to expire; I am guessing that the username got changed in 1Password during the password change.

Any ideas about what's going on and how to avoid this kind of problem in the future?

Thanks,
Hershel

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.22.1 in Chrome 85.0.4183.83
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hsafer!

I would love to test this, but without an account with that bank it might be a bit difficult. I agree with you that it sounds like something went wrong during the password change procedure. I wonder if you would be willing to test this again, and see if you manage to reproduce the issue?

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

Ok, I change my password proactively. Last time it asked me after logging in because the old password was about to expire. This time, everything looks fine in 1Password after the change. Thanks,

Hershel

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @hsafer ,
    Thanks for reporting this.

I have an account there so I'll try to notice it the next time it asks me to change my password. Sounds like they have an invisible username field in that page that 1Password picks up, but I'll have to investigate it live when it happens.

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member

Hi,
    This just happened again. The Bank Hapoalim website asked that I change my password because my old one was about to expire. When I updated the password, the username got changed to dummypass. I don't know if it's relevant, but my internet access right now is fairly slow.
    Hershel

1Password X 1.22.4
    Chrome 86.0.4240.111
    macOS 10.15.7
    Sync type: 1Password account

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020

Hey @hsafer ,

I changed my password there right now and was able to reproduce the issue.
    There are some invisible fields there that are called "dummypass", which 1Password picks up and thinks its the username field.

I'll ask our developers to take a look at it and see if they can improve this behavior on our side of things. Thanks for brining this up!

ref: dev/core/core#3519

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member

Thanks for following up, @ag_yaron!
    Hershel

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

It is my pleasure, Hershel :+1:

This discussion has been closed.