How to best use 1P for WhatsApp second step of authentication?

jmjm
jmjm
Community Member
edited April 2020 in Android

I see that WhatsApp does have the option of setting up extra security for ones account. It appears it is a 6 digit ("static") passcode (PIN). WhatsApp will periodically ask for this same passcode when you launch the app (this helps you remember your code).

Because it isn't a login as such but rather one "simply" enters a 6 digit PIN when periodically prompted I wasn't sure how to best store such easily forgotten information in 1P. Is this where one would use...."Notes?

Comments

• Hi @jmjm. I'd recommend saving that code in a one-time password field for the WhatsApp Login item. That way, 1Password should be able to fill it after you've filled your username and password.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

Thanks @peri for the post.

Just to let you know there is no username and password for WhatsApp. (One sets up a WA account using only one's ph. #.)

So it is only this "permanent" PIN that needs to be stored. And that is why I was thinking that establishing a "traditional" login might not be the best way to store this one piece of information.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm:

You could also consider creating a login item with your phone number as username, and your WhatsApp code as password.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

I had saved the 6 digit PIN as a note only so that it couldnt' be "lost" ie in case I forgot it. But do you know from experience that 1P for Android will be able to recognize the WhatsApp popup "asking" for the PIN so it will be populated instantaneously?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmjm:

I don't have an Android device to test it at the moment, so it would be great if you could try it and report back. In any case, I think it's better to store it in a Password of Login item instead of a note: at least it will be easier to copy and paste it.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

No 1P doesnt recognize the popup with the WhatsApp app. So as a Secure Note or Login makes no difference i.e. either copy and paste or type it in.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @jmjm :+1: And certainly, use whatever works best for you: I personally use a Login item since WhatsApp is effectively an account, with the phone number as username, but a Secure Note can certainly work for you as well.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

FYI (the WhatsApp pop-up):

• @jmjm There's no easy way to fill into this field, as it's not a typical login field. You can save the password as a Password item, Secure Note, or really in any category you prefer.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member

Understand @peri. I just wanted to post the "login" to complete this thread.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for that :+1: :)

• ugafta
    ugafta
    Community Member

Is it really not possible that the pop-up in the WhatsApp application is recognized by 1Password and allows the six-digit PIN to be filled in automatically?

• Hi @ugafta, unfortunately the way the pop up is created is different from regular login pop ups. At the moment, we're able to tell what a field is and that it needs filling for regular login pop ups, whereas with this type of pop up we can't yet.

We do offer a drag and drop feature that should be of use in these cases though.

This discussion has been closed.