I deleted one local vault, and it deleted all local vaults

christianmlong
christianmlong
Community Member

I have a 1password subscription with synced vaults. I also have a vault on my work laptop called "Work" for work-related passwords.

Today, I noticed that I actually had two local vaults - one called Primary, and one called Work. I don't want two local vaults, I only want one.

I went to delete the Primary vault, and it also deleted the Work vault. I had to restore from backup.

You can see in the screenshot that I'm operating only on the Primary vault. From the UI, I was not expecting the Work vault to be affected at all.

Is there a way to delete only the Primary vault, and leave the Work vault?

If not, there should definitely be some kind of safeguard or explanation that makes it clear that deleting Primary will also delete Work.

I did see the "type your master password" prompt before deleting the vault, but that did not make it clear that by choosing delete on Primary, it would also delete Work.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:delete one vault deleted all vaults

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

Hi @christianmlong

Is there a way to delete only the Primary vault, and leave the Work vault?

There is not, sorry. The way standalone vaults were built it is necessary to have at least a Primary vault if having any standalone vaults. That said we don't recommend using standalone vaults at all, particularly in conjunction with a 1Password membership. Is there a reason for not incorporating this vault into your membership?

If not, there should definitely be some kind of safeguard or explanation that makes it clear that deleting Primary will also delete Work.

I just tested this and it behaved as you outlined: there isn't a warning that other standalone vaults will be deleted. I'm not aware of any improvements planned specific to standalone vaults at this point, but I will ask our development team if they can consider adding a note to the screen that prompts for the Master Password indicating that removing the Primary vault will remove all standalone vaults.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4976

This discussion has been closed.