Welcome to 1Password7 splash

deninger
deninger
Community Member

I have been a long time and happy user since almost day one. I purchased 1Password7 from the App Store for my Mac (and I also run 1Password7 on my iPhone). I don't use the subscription model as I am not a fan of that type of software.

The other day, the plugin for safari stopped working. I re-installed it but that did not help. As it turns out, whenever I click on the plugin button in the browser, it pops open a modal window (behind other windows so I don't see it). It looks like this:

In fact, if I copy and paste my username and password into a browser from the 1Password7 app itself, this also then pops up.

I has frustrated me to no end.

What has changed? How can I fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.6 (70600006) Mac App Store
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @deninger

I'm sorry for any confusion. A membership is the only way to purchase 1Password 7 for Mac from the App Store. The App Store does not (and has never) sold licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac. The last version of 1Password for Mac to have licenses sold from the App Store was v6. Membership is the way forward for 1Password. We haven't advertised licenses in over 2 years, and I really couldn't recommend purchasing one at this point. There are a ton of advantages to membership, including access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. You can read more about that here:

About 1Password membership

I'm happy to help if you have further questions.

Ben

• deninger
    deninger
    Community Member

So I did a little more digging. It looks like I was running 1password v6 and I found that version of the program zipped up (perhaps by 1Password7?) in my applications folder. I certainly did not zip it up. I suspect this all happened when I upgraded my Mac several months ago. Does 1Password7 have a "trial" period during which it operates normally and then "shuts down" with the annoying popup?

The previous version does not appear to function now: it won't unlock. Is there a way to use recover the use of the previous version (the one that I own), or am I back in the market for a password manager. One without a "membership"?

To be brutally honest, the "advantages" you refer to with membership are completely unnecessary for me and not something I need. It worked fine at version 6. If there were some really beneficial advantages that I would really benefit from, I would pay for an upgrade. But with the "membership" I don't get that choice. I continue to have to pay even if the features are things I would never want or use.

I understand the membership model (not that I like it). Software companies need reliable revenue streams, and the "upgrade' game gets old for both the developer and the user. But this is not an application suite like Adobe publishes. Membership (subscription) services make a lot less financial sense for something like this.

I have the program on my phone (no "membership" there) and I was happy on my Mac up until last week. Now I am unhappy and perhaps just a little mad / frustrated.

Thanks

Mike

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

@deninger:

So I did a little more digging. It looks like I was running 1password v6 and I found that version of the program zipped up (perhaps by 1Password7?) in my applications folder. I certainly did not zip it up. I suspect this all happened when I upgraded my Mac several months ago.

When you install 1Password 7 on a machine where 1Password 6 is installed, 1Password 7 zips the old app to avoid interference with the new version.

Does 1Password7 have a "trial" period during which it operates normally and then "shuts down" with the annoying popup?

If you have a Membership, there is a 14 day free trial. Afterwards, if you don't subscribe, you will see the popup. If you subscribe, the popup will go away.

The previous version does not appear to function now: it won't unlock. Is there a way to use recover the use of the previous version (the one that I own), or am I back in the market for a password manager. One without a "membership"?

As Ben said, we don't recommend licenses anymore as we feel Memberships are the best option, but you can purchase one if you absolutely want it. Just not for the Mac App Store version of 1Password (you will need to download the 1Password app from our website instead).

• deninger
    deninger
    Community Member

I am still trying to figure out how 1password7 is on my computer. Did I download it from the app store or did I upgrade to v7.

The app itself shows order information:

Order Number 1PA200221-9330-30235

Is there a way to determine the origin of this order (and the associated license)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@deninger:

I am still trying to figure out how 1password7 is on my computer. Did I download it from the app store or did I upgrade to v7.

1Password 6 does not upgrade to 1Password 7 automatically, since version 7 is a paid upgrade. This means that you must have performed the upgrade manually, by installing version 7 separately.

Is there a way to determine the origin of this order (and the associated license)?

We will be happy to help you with this. To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from the email you used to place the order so we can continue the conversation there?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• lady8
    lady8
    Community Member

i hate that everytime i use ipassword that a pop up comes up with welcome to Ipassoword7. its so damn annoying that i almost dont want to buy it anymore. i never had this problem before. why are you forcing us by pop up ads to buy your products.how can i get rid of this damn pop up. its so annoying........

• lady8
    lady8
    Community Member

i used to love this app, i paid for my license and i was happy with it. why are you forcing users to upgrade to a subscription. and its so complicated now. cant you just keep this simple?

• Hi @lady8

I'm sorry for the trouble. Unless you have a 1Password membership then 1Password 7 wouldn't be included with any previous purchases. It sounds like you've installed v7, as doing so is where the "Welcome to 1Password 7" screen comes from. Membership is the way forward with 1Password. You can read more about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

Some of the highlights are: the latest versions of the 1Password apps for any of your compatible devices are included, sync is automatic and baked in, automatic offsite encrypted backups are included, and you can (optionally) share select 1Password data with your family members if you opt for 1Password Families. When you're ready to upgrade instructions on migrating your existing data can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

We're unable to discuss individual pricing situations here in the forum, but I would encourage you to reach out to our billing team at support@1password.com to discuss any considerations. They should be able to help you out. If you still have that original receipt for your previous license purchase please include it with your email, but they can help either way. :+1:

As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend, and support would be limited.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.