Error message 1Password7 is damaged and can't be opened. Delete 1Password.....and download again...

Options
MarkDres
MarkDres
Community Member

I have tried all the steps I have found on 1Password support forums without success. I successfully installed 1Password to a new iMac 2020 (running Mac Catalina, 10.15.6) last week, and have been using the program multiple times per day for many days without problems. (I have also been using the Safari extension for 1Password.) However, suddenly today I got the error message:“1Password 7” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “1Password 7” and download it again from the App Store". As instructed elsewhere by AgileBits, I moved 1Password to the trash, quit the App Store, deleted my App Store cache files: com.apple.AppStore, rebooted my computer, and then reinstalled 1Password 7 from the App Store, all without success. I have rebooted and repeated these and other attempted fixes multiple times but the problem persists whenever I attempt to start the newly downloaded application. I have used 1Password on multiple current and former devices for years without ever having any problems, but this one has proved very frustrating. Can someone please help? Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkDres!

As instructed elsewhere by AgileBits, I moved 1Password to the trash, quit the App Store, deleted my App Store cache files: com.apple.AppStore, rebooted my computer, and then reinstalled 1Password 7 from the App Store, all without success.

Are you able to install 1Password from our website instead? I am wondering if the issue is with the Mac App Store.

• MarkDres
    MarkDres
    Community Member
    Options

I am pleased to report that 1Password opened perfectly after downloading the application directly from the 1Password site. Any idea why this problem occurred? And is there any difference for me using the application downloaded from 1Password's site, instead of the application downloaded from the App Store? Thank you very much for promptly helping me fix this issue.

• @MarkDres

The primary difference is that updates would come through an in-app prompt instead of through the App Store. Unfortunately I'm not sure off-hand what might've caused this issue when downloading from the App Store... have you had issues with any other App Store apps?

Ben

• MarkDres
    MarkDres
    Community Member
    Options

I have not had any issues with other App Store programs.

• That's interesting, @MarkDres. I wish I had an explanation to offer, but unfortunately I think we're going to have to chalk this one up as a quirk from the App Store.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.