V7 does not automatically enter the password on a website like it used to

Options
1passkomet
1passkomet
Community Member

I am just getting around to entering this as a bug. V6 behavior is different and needs to come back in this specific area:
When you go to a website that needs you to enter a username and password, hit the command-\ and it all enters. This is not the issue.

This is the issue:
1. The issue is when the username and password are on different pages.
2. I hit cmd-\, enter my key, and it fills in my username automatically as expected.
3. It then presents a new web page where I need to enter my password....this is the problem.
4. In v6, it automatically filled in the password on this page with the password associated with the username from the prior page. v7 does not.
5. v7 requires me to hit the cmd-\ again, select the proper username (if there are multiple for the website), and then confirm

This is not cool. It is literally double the key strokes to perform the same function with no perceivable benefit.

What happened and why?????

-Kirk

1Password Version: 7.6 (70600005)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 11.0 Beta (20A5364e)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @1passkomet

I'm sorry to hear about the change in workflow. Unfortunately this is a consequence of using the 1Password companion extension for either Firefox or Chrome. There are two ways to get the desired behavior here, which is by using our newer extensions:

1. 1Password X: This uses an inline menu which handles multi-page logins as you've described. After navigating to the 2nd page of a multi-page login process no further action is required... the password is filled automatically. See video below. (Available for Chrome and Firefox; requires 1Password membership)
    2. Safari: For 1Password 7.7 we will be bringing the 1Password X-style inline menu to Safari's App Extension. As such this will work as you'd like when using Safari after 7.7 releases (or if you install the beta).

Demo of how this works using 1Password X in Chrome:

[Here's the link to the video.](https://bucket.agilebits.com/tmp/ben/b5xmultipage.mov)

(note: I'm not clicking or pressing anything once on the password page to make this happen)

Unfortunately adding the inline menu (and thus this capability) is not on the radar at present for the companion extension for Firefox or Chrome, so the above would be the options if this functionality is important to you. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• 1passkomet
    1passkomet
    Community Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Yes, this is what I am talking about. My question still stands: Why was this functionality removed?

I appreciate there is a solution: Buy a different product and pay for a subscription. And it feels like the stand alone product is losing functionality, while the subscription product has it. Why was this removed?

Thanks,

-Kirk

• @1passkomet

I don't recall when/why this specific situation changed, but the ways in which we can and do fill within browsers are constantly changing, as web pages and the browsers themselves evolve.

And it feels like the stand alone product is losing functionality, while the subscription product has it

I understand the perspective, however the Safari App Extension is available to standalone customers and has (or, will shortly have) this functionality. It is only the companion extension, which is used by both standalone and membership customers alike, which does not have this. It is true that 1Password X is available exclusively to membership customers, and it also have this. The reason 1Password X is exclusive to memberships is because unlike the companion extension 1Password X doesn't get its data from 1Password for Mac. It gets the data directly from 1Password.com. With 1Password X, 1Password for Mac doesn't even need to be installed.

Buy a different product and pay for a subscription

1Password X doesn't need to be purchased separately from a membership. Membership includes 1Password X. Membership is the way forward with 1Password. Our billing team at support@1password.com would be happy to help out with any pricing considerations / concerns. I understand this isn't the answer you were hoping for but we'd like to help you get the best of 1Password, and membership is the best. :+1:

Ben

• 1passkomet
    1passkomet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben. Is it fair to say that 1Password is then responsible for the safety and security of literally ALL an individual's identity and content in the cloud? I know the sync protocols utilize things like iCloud for storage, but iCould is a behemoth and would be pretty hard to track down a 1pass archive. It just seems inherently more risky to have the security company that makes the software hold the keys to everyone's kingdom. All the cookies in one basket. That is just my gut reaction.

• @1passkomet

We've designed 1Password such that we never have the keys to the kingdom, regardless of how you choose to sync. Before your data is synced anywhere it is encrypted using keys only you have (your Master Password, and also in the case of 1Password.com your Secret Key). You can read more about this here:

About the 1Password security model

I know the sync protocols utilize things like iCloud for storage, but iCould is a behemoth and would be pretty hard to track down a 1pass archive.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that's a fair assumption. Anybody who is going to break into iCloud is going to be able to pretty easily figure out how/where 1Password data is stored there. But in the event you were syncing your data with iCloud, and iCloud were compromised, an attacker would still need your Master Password in order to access your data. We don't rely on security through obscurity, which has largely been discredited and rejected by the security community.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.