Converting to version 7 with personal vault; on laptop still uses old password

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

I recently upgraded to 1P version 7. I converted to 1password.com personal vault with a new password. Previously I synched with Dropbox. On my main machine, things work normally. However, on my Mac Book Pro, I still need to use the old password.

1. On the laptop, Version 7.6 is installed
  2. The new password will not open the vault.
  3. The old password is still required to open the vault.
  4. The vault settings include on the Personal vault; the Dropbox vault is excluded. I will be removing the Dropbox entirely once this gets sorted.
  5. The contents of the vault are the new vault; some different entries in the Dropbox vault are not there. I mention this redundant info as confirmation the the proper vault is in use.

I used to think the master password was associated with the vault, but not with the application or the computer. But in this case the above results seem to obscure what is happening.

Do I need to explicitly change the master password on each machine separately?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9!

However, on my Mac Book Pro, I still need to use the old password.

Do you still have your old Primary vault in 1Password on your MacBook Pro? The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

If you still have your Dropbox vault on this device, that would explain why you still have to enter your old password to unlock the app.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Ana,

Thanks for chiming in!

On the laptop, there is the new Personal Vault and the Primary vault synching via Dropbox. I went into Preference Vaults to see if the Dropbox vault could be turned off, but that option did not exist. Seems like that would be the best place for something like that.

However, in the left side bar of the Desktop app, there is a three-dot control to the right of the Primary Dropbox vault. That does give the option to remove that vault. But then there is a warning message about deleting all the items in Dropbox. I am a bit concerned that that might be dangerous.

Is that the right way to remove it?

Is all the vault info securely preserved in the 1password.com Personal vault?

• @jasimon9

We have a relatively new team here at 1Password that is specializing in things like helping people with the learning curve of transitioning from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. While of course I'm happy to continue to assist you here in the forum, if you're willing, I'd like to get you in touch with them for any further questions you might have. I think your situation would be a perfect fit for what they're set up for. If you're up for that please address any questions you have to support@1password.com and prefix the subject line with [#KIS-36971-917] (including the brackets). This will make sure you're routed to the correct folks.

For anyone else reading: The [#KIS-36971-917] ticket is for jasimon9. If you'd like to speak with this team please write in to support@1password.com without any special subject line and we'll get you to the right place. Thanks!

As for your questions here:

On the laptop, there is the new Personal Vault and the Primary vault synching via Dropbox. I went into Preference Vaults to see if the Dropbox vault could be turned off, but that option did not exist. Seems like that would be the best place for something like that.

This preference is in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and is labeled Local Vaults. This should be turned off to achieve the desired outcome.

However, in the left side bar of the Desktop app, there is a three-dot control to the right of the Primary Dropbox vault. That does give the option to remove that vault. But then there is a warning message about deleting all the items in Dropbox. I am a bit concerned that that might be dangerous.

As long as you're able to see all of your data when you sign in at https://start.1password.com/ then this is fine. Deleting data in Dropbox has no effect on 1Password.com.

Is that the right way to remove it?

Either what you outlined or what I have above will achieve the same result.

Is all the vault info securely preserved in the 1password.com Personal vault?

If the data is available in the Personal vault then removing the Primary vault will not affect that. :+1:

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.