Ability to display password when logging in to 1Password

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for 1Password. It makes remembering passwords a cinch! Before 1Password, I can't begin to tell you how many times I used some really secret password to encrypt a document then 6 months later blankly stare at the password message as I try and fail to remember that secret password.

I'd like to be able to see what I'm typing when entering the 1Password login password. Or, if a show password button is available to allow a brief view of the password. I want to be able to see if I typed it in correctly.

This is a small feature request that's not important. I have a really long 1Password master password, and it's difficult to type without actually seeing what I'm typing. I have been using Notepad to type the master password then copy and paste into the 1Password application. Then, usually I delete the clipboard. I really would like to skip the notepad part.

Thanks,
Matt

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19041
Sync Type: OneDrive, iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:show password when logging in

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @matt_gg,

Thank you for your kind words! We are happy to hear that you like 1Password. :)

First and foremost, the security of your data in 1Password is our top priority, so I am afraid that we do not have plans to add the option to display your Master Password while you are entering it.

Since your Master Password is known only to you, it is not always safe to display it anywhere. You can be in a position when there is nobody behind you looking at your display, but it doesn't mean that every other user has the same luxury. In general, not showing the Master Password is the most secure behaviour, and since 1Password is security software, we believe that this is the correct choice.

If you are on your Windows PC and have to unlock 1Password often, you can increase Auto-lock timer in the app or use Windows Hello:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

This way you will need to unlock 1Password with your Master Password once at the beginning of your session. After that you can use PIN/fingerprint/face recognition to unlock 1Password. However, please note that once 1Password is terminated or the computer is shut down, you'll have to unlock with the Master Password first before Windows Hello can be used again.

Let me know if you have other questions, we are here to help. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.