Reveal option cuts off end of long passwords

The previous discussion is closed, so I am opening a new one, because this has still not been fixed and it is a serious issue that affects me because I use 24-character passwords and the last few characters are not visible.

Just because you cannot come up with a use case does not mean you can dismiss this as "intended behavior". I'm baffled by the responses in the other thread. You are saying not many users need to see the whole password. That's ridiculous, please explain to me what exactly do I gain from seeing the beginning of the password when all my passwords are randomly generated, since that is the whole purpose of a password manager, to not have to remember them?

There are circumstances where I simply cannot "just copy and paste" the password. It's easy for you to say that, but please tell me, how exactly am I supposed to copy-paste the password to the initial setup screen on Android or iOS when 1Password isn't even installed yet? The only way is viewing it on my computer and typing it in manually. This is a very frustrating bug that forces me to either use Large Type (which is way too large for my use case and requires scrolling) or open the item for editing (which requires unnecessary extra clicks). I love 1Password, but if you refuse to fix this simple issue and dismiss it as "intended behavior", I may have to look for an alternative, or go through the pain of shortening all my passwords to 20 characters (which is also unnecessary reducing security even if it's probably still secure enough).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.21.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020

Hey @nyuszika7h ,
    Thank you for taking the time to write about this to us! I really appreciate it.

We certainly need to consider any and all suggestions and complaints from users, and that is what we do on a daily basis. The more requests a specific feature is getting, the more likely it is we will implement it, so your feedback and feature request here is definitely helpful!

As to the matter at hand, I went ahead and created a new login item with a 30 characters long random password. When I click the "Reveal" button, indeed some of the UI is hiding the end of the password, as seen here:

However, if I click anywhere outside that password box, the buttons in the password field are being dismissed, allowing me to see the rest of the password without using Large Type:

Are you able to reproduce that behavior and see your password properly?
    Regardless, I will add your report to the list of features requests, and hopefully it will be added to the extension in the future.

ref: dev/core/core#2769

• alexiaa
    alexiaa
    Community Member

Ah, I didn't realize clicking outside the box will show the whole password. That's good enough I guess, but not very easy to discover IMO, you might want to add an easier way or make it more obvious.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm really glad to hear we found a workaround for now, @nyuszika7h .
    I did file your report here, alongside the repots from the other older discussion. Hopefully it will get enough traction and attention so that our developers will consider implementing an alternative UI there if needed.

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.