1Password Development Preview 0.8.5

SavanniSavanni

Team Member
edited September 14 in Linux Beta

Good morning, and welcome to a new week!

I hope folks in the United States got the chance to enjoy a nice, long Labor Day weekend, and our Canadian friends enjoyed their Labour Day. Our developers needed the long weekend to gather their strength for item editing. We are working hard to make that a reality while also solving bugs and improving the user interface.

Did you know?

1Password supports Markdown formatting in secure text notes!

You cannot yet edit your secure notes in 1Password for Linux, but if you edit the note in the web application, those changes will be immediately reflected in the native application. 1Password for Linux will see that the note is Markdown code and render it nicely.

New and Improved

• 1Password will now remember the width of the sidebar, item list, and item details when it restarts. #2500
  • We updated the text to clarify who will have access to an item after it has been moved. #2630
  • Search now works correctly with international characters. Previously, certain international characters would cause an error. Thanks to @tunix for reporting this. #2572
  • We fixed a bug where password strength wasn't shown on custom password fields if the item's first password field wasn't used. #4949
  • Fields now have a compact mode. !3057
  • Fields no longer have a hover effect if they have no actions. !3057
  • Section titles and address fields now truncate properly. !3057
  • The password strength indicator no longer animates when switching items. !3057
  • Tags are now left-aligned when wrapped. !3057

Installing and Upgrading

Go to the getting started guide for instructions on installing or updating 1Password.

Thank you to everyone who is providing feedback on this journey! Our development team will be active in this forum so when you find issues please let us know here.

Comments

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

@bluebeardxxx, just in case, how did you install 1Password?

• benimnetzbenimnetz
    edited September 10

I just wanted to let you know that i really appreciate your Linux efforts. Nice job! I just upgraded from the deb to the snap. I am now running 1Password on almost any Plattform, from 1Password X in Firefox, over 1Password on Android and iOS to 1Password on Windows and now Ubuntu! Looking forward to a Fedora using a Flatpack to my list. 8-)

PS: The Getting Started page does not mention snap yet. https://support.1password.com/cs/getting-started-linux/#get-1password

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for saying so, @benimnetz! I'd be curious: why the choice of Flatpack over rpm? In case you weren't aware, we do offer a package for Fedora through dnf. :)

https://support.1password.com/cs/getting-started-linux/#centos-fedora-or-red-hat-enterprise-linux

Ben

Team Member

Hi @benimnetz, in addition to Ben's question, I'm also curious as to why snap over deb on Ubuntu? The deb package for 1Password is more usable on Ubuntu than snap as there are some limitations that we're trying to work around in future updates.

• @Ben - I'll chime in here. At work I use Amazon Linux (not by choice) which is a rpm derivative distribution which the 1password Linux app unfortunately doesn’t work out of the box when installing via yum (no DNF :'( ). Doing some .so linking fixed the issue. I understand that Amazon Linux is not a supported OS, but the ability to just have flatpak "work" far outweighs all the possible edge cases of installing rpms and then fixing them based on what state your OS is. I won't repeat here all the advantages of flatpak (containerisation, sand boxing etc.), but I've found migrating any apps to flatpak over their "natural format" has been easier to maintain

Team Member

@k4n30, that is interesting, thanks for letting us know. I don't think we've looked at Amazon Linux.

We do want to offer a flatpak version of 1Password. Hopefully, it won't be too long as I'd love to try Fedora's Silverblue OS with it too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file