1password7 cannot be backed up.

nabisuke
nabisuke
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Mac

Hello.
I'm a Japanese user using 1password7.
It's not the English version, so the language may be slightly different.

I cannot create a backup when I press the button [ File > Backup > Backup Now ].
Attempting to load the data in this file fails.
/Users/myname/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password

How do I make a backup?
And I would also like to know how to make an automatic backup.

Thank you for your help.

nabisuke

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: maxOS Catalina 10.15.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:backup

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nabisuke! Welcome to the forum!

And I would also like to know how to make an automatic backup.

Backups for local vaults are already taken automatically, so there is nothing for you to do here :+1:

How do I make a backup?

File > Backup > Backup Now is the correct procedure. What happens exactly when you click on Backup Now? When I tried this in my 1Password for Mac, the new backup appeared immediately in the list.

• nabisuke
    nabisuke
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana! Thanks for your quick reply.

File > Backup > Backup Now is the correct procedure. What happens exactly when you click on Backup Now? When I tried this in my 1Password for Mac, the new backup appeared immediately in the list.

I've tried it too, but nothing has changed within the 1password7 app. Take a look at this screenshot. In Japanese, "今すぐバックアップ" in the bottom right corner is the same as Backup Now.

I looked for the change locally. There is no folder named File > Backup > Backup Now locally for me.
    Instead, there is a 1password folder in the following location.
    /Users/myname/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password

Inside of it is this screenshot. When I clicked on "Back Up Now," it created the file in the blue band.

• @nabisuke

Based on what I'm seeing in your screenshots it appears you may have a vault called "Primary," which is empty, and then your data is stored in a 1Password membership account? Does that sound familiar? If that is the case the "Primary" vault should be deleted, and backups would be managed through your membership:

1Password backups

Before deleting the Primary vault can you please confirm for me that you're able to sign in using the https://start.1password.com web app, and that you can view all of your data there?

Ben

• nabisuke
    nabisuke
    Community Member

@Ben

Thank you for your answers!
    You were right!
    I couldn't get a backup because the "primary" vault was empty and I had selected this vault.
    I deleted this.

Let me ask one more question about this.
    The data in my 1Password membership was safe. I want to make a backup of this data in my Mac. After deleting "Primary", I can't see [File > Backup] in the 1Password7 app anymore.
    Please let me know when something goes wrong and I want to restore it myself immediately.
    Thank you for your help.

nabisuke

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nabisuke:

The data in my 1Password membership was safe. I want to make a backup of this data in my Mac. After deleting "Primary", I can't see [File > Backup] in the 1Password7 app anymore.

This is normal, because backups of data on 1Password.com are taken automatically on the server, so you don't have to do anything manually :)

• nabisuke
    nabisuke
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

@ag_ana

Thank you for your reply.
    If I want to revert back to a past save state, what should I do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nabisuke:

You can use the item history feature on the website:

View and restore previous versions of items

• nabisuke
    nabisuke
    Community Member

@ag_ana

I'm sorry. I have read the website you referred me to, but I can't understand it.
    I don't get Item History when I sign in.

My subscription plan is the "Individual Plan", does this not allow me to use Item History?
    Or do you not support the Japanese plan?
    I changed the language to English, but the menu seems to be the same as in Japanese.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nabisuke:

My subscription plan is the "Individual Plan", does this not allow me to use Item History?

It does, Item History is available in every Membership plan :)

I changed the language to English, but the menu seems to be the same as in Japanese.

Make sure there actually are changes to the item you are looking at: for example, if you create a Login item and you never change it, the Item History button would be hidden there, since there is no previous version of the item to restore to.

If you look at an item where you updated the password, for example, or any other field, then the item history option should definitely appear there.

• nabisuke
    nabisuke
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Thank you for your reply.
    I see that [Item History] shows up for every item you've saved!
    I could check it out!
    And now I see that the same button appears in Japanese!

Thank you so much for your many thoughtful answers!
    Let me make two suggestions.
    One is that I would like to see a screenshot of this web page like the screenshot above, so that I can see at a glance where the buttons appear.
    https://support.1password.com/item-history/#manage-who-can-restore-previous-versions

Secondly, I'd like to see this restoration procedure on the Japanese support page as well.

Thank you so much for this time!
    I think 1Password is easy to use. I'll continue to support you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you so much for the kind words @nabisuke! And I am glad I could help :)

And thank you also for the feedback! We constantly update our documentation pages (including for languages other than English), and translate them as soon as we get a chance, so this is certainly something we continue working on :+1:

This discussion has been closed.