1Password will not close for updates, even though it is actually closed.

alismith777
alismith777
Community Member
edited September 2020 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

1Password 7 will not close for updates through the App Store, even though it is actually closed. It is also not possible to drag the app to the trash from the Applications folder as it is apparently still open, even though it is closed.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 (688001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password will not close for updates, even when it is actually closed.

Comments

• Hi @alismith777

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac (or from the App Store if you prefer; website recommended)
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• alismith777
    alismith777
    Community Member

Thank you Ben - I did try those steps and the application could not be dragged to the trash as it thinks that it is open.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alismith777:

1Password mini is still probably running in your menu bar. Can you see it there at the top of your screen? If you do, can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and see if you can proceed?

• alismith777
    alismith777
    Community Member

Thank you! That worked!

• On behalf of Ana, you're welcome

This discussion has been closed.