I'm not sure I understand the difference between a "user account password" and a "master password".

johnsonmr
johnsonmr
Community Member

We have a Family plan for Mac's. I have a password that logs me into 1Password.com and a seperate password that logs me into 1Password on my laptop. I am the Family plan administer. My wife has a password to log her into 1Password.com and the same password to log her into 1Password on her laptop. Both of our 1Password.com passwords are very long. My laptop password for 1Password is much shorter and easy to remember. My wife's laptop password (as I said is the same as 1Password.com) she can never remember so she refuses to use 1Password. How can I give her a laptop 1Password (like mine) that she can remember?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: Mac OS V. 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnsonmr! Welcome to the forum!

I have a password that logs me into 1Password.com and a seperate password that logs me into 1Password on my laptop.

If you need to use a separate password to unlock your 1Password app, it means that you still have an old standalone vault there (perhaps one that was synced to iCloud or Dropbox).

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

So from what you said, I think you have a Primary vault in your 1Password app that is causing this. If you remove that vault from there, then you should be able to unlock 1Password with the same password you use on 1Password.com

My wife's laptop password (as I said is the same as 1Password.com) she can never remember so she refuses to use 1Password. How can I give her a laptop 1Password (like mine) that she can remember?

If you haven't done it already, I recommend using a word-based Master Password: these are long and secure, but they are also easy to type and remember. These are some of our suggestions:

How to choose a good Master Password

• johnsonmr
    johnsonmr
    Community Member

Yep, I had an old vault. It's now gone and everything as expected. Thanks...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @johnsonmr! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.