How to Generate a New Password on an App (not within Safari)

amswitzer
amswitzer
Community Member
edited September 2020 in iOS

I must really be missing something. If I am signing up for a new app on the app directly, what the heck does one do to simply generate a password when confronted with that field? I spent 15 minutes trying to do that last night and I just gave up in frustration. Surely there's a step I'm missing which allows a user to simply generate and copy a new password, as one can do on the extension in a browser. Why am I having such a hard time trying to figure this out?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

Just to add a comment here, I've been playing around with a couple of your competitors (I've been with 1PW for several years now) and it seems much easier on these platforms.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amswitzer!

You have two ways to do this on iOS: if the app supports 1Password integration, you can use the autofill extension and tap on the little key icon that appears above your keyboard. You can see an example of it here.

If the autofill extension does not appear, you can always create a password inside the 1Password app, and copy paste it in the app as you said. To do this, open 1Password for iOS > Select the Categories tab in the bottom row > Tap on the + button in the top right corner to create a new password item.

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

But that requires that I enter the entire login record. Isn’t there a way to generate and copy a new password without having to create the entire login record? And wouldn’t 1PW offer to save the new record when I finish creating the login anyway? Sorry if I’m missing something.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@amswitzer:

That's correct: 1Password for iOS does not have an extension like the one you use in browsers, so the procedure is slightly different there :+1:

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

I figured out how it works ---- thanks. So the trick is to set up a new record from the start, then have 1PW automatically fill-in the field. OK - not as bad as I thought.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Correct @amswitzer! That is certainly the easiest method :+1:

This discussion has been closed.