sync issues and watchtower diff

wieredguy42
wieredguy42
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Mac

not sure if i am in proper selection but the mac version causes the issues so.

• 3 instances of 1passord: win(7.6.780), mac(7.6) and ios(7.62). All systems are up to date (OS and 1password itself).
  • I have purchased standalone licenses and pro for ios.
  • I sync everything via dropbox.

I usually work from win and do the fun stuff from my mac. Yesterday I opened github account on my win did some commits and shut down pc completely. After that I received an email that someone replied to me on github so I opened my mac and went to github to post reply. My github password was missing from my 1p db.

1. checked that dropbox is running and up to date. Still no github password there.
  2. opened 1p on ios and found that it have my github account there. So it wasn't a sync issue.
  3. I decided to restart 1p completely via menubar menu which didn't bring me any result.
  4. Mac os restart didn't help as well.
  5. Than I thought there could be some error with my dropbox on a mac so I completely reinstalled dropbox which didn't help either, my github account was still missing on my mac.
  6. checked 1p settings and it was saying that it was synced a few minutes ago which means it was up to date as well. I went deeper and found that my mac does have some logins which i deleted a few days ago so it was completely out of sync.
  7. I've also checked if 1p app was up to date on my mac just in case.

After all that mess I decided to skip that stuff for yesterday and went to bed with bad mood and thought it might somehow autofix itself. It didn't.

I have checked my win today on the morning and during the whole day - it was running well, my passwords was there and I had zero issues running it. Same goes to ios. Finished my work and went to mac. Still old outdated db. Decided to reinstall 1p completely and that kinda fixed it. Now it synced.
ps. I know how that stuff works so i never open my 1p db on two devices at the same time so there is no sync conflicts.

#

But since i had issues I began to study db closely and found that now watchtower acts different way on my win and mac:
total logins, total software licenses, total items by tags was same. So i assumed i was fine at first.
But the problems began with watchtower. It shows completely different numbers and items on both systems.

1. for example my windows show me my extra gmail account under 2fa tab since i did not setup second factor for it and didn't tag it with "2fa" which is fine. It does the job right. BUT my mac don't show my gmail account there.

2. I have 2 entries: one is set up under wireless routers and one is simple login entry. they both have same password. and my mac reports that while my win totally ignores that match.

3. My vault on win have a custom name "001" while mac name same vault "Primary"(I've checked that path on both systems)

#

I understand that we cant track sync issue anymore since when I uninstalled 1p from mac I removed all logs and all files as well from everywhere on a system.
But why it all happens in first place? Why watchtower show different results? I thought that I have bullet proof protection and fully covered and now I feel kinda unsafe about my passwords and thinking about inspecting backups tomorrow just in case I lost some logins on the way.

1Password Version: win 7.6.780; ios 7.62
Extension Version: not relevant
OS Version: w10 1909; mac 10.15.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hey @wieredguy42

I understand that we cant track sync issue anymore since when I uninstalled 1p from mac I removed all logs and all files as well from everywhere on a system.

That does indeed make it difficult unfortunately. For future reference if anything like this ever happens again we have a detailed troubleshooting guide for Dropbox related issues available here:

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox

As it stands, we no longer generally recommend 3rd party sync services or standalone vaults for 1Password data. 1Password membership is the way forward. You can read more about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

Some of the highlights are: the latest versions of the 1Password apps for any of your compatible devices are included, sync is automatic and baked in, automatic offsite encrypted backups are included, and you can (optionally) share select 1Password data with your family members if you opt for 1Password Families. When you're ready to upgrade instructions on migrating your existing data can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

We're unable to discuss individual pricing situations here in the forum, but I would encourage you to reach out to our billing team at support@1password.com to discuss any considerations. They should be able to help you out. If you still have your receipt for your standalone license please include that, but they can help either way.

But the problems began with watchtower. It shows completely different numbers and items on both systems.

Watchtower data doesn't sync; instead these calculations are made on each device, and our various apps use different criteria for the various Watchtower flags. That is something we hope to address in the future: making the experience more consistent regardless of which app you're using. We want to do better here.

Ben

• wieredguy42
    wieredguy42
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

sorry subscription and cloud is no go for me, i am very happy with a pricey standalone version.
    @Ben

we no longer generally recommend 3rd party sync services or standalone vaults

are you saying that next versions wont allow standalone purchase?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wieredguy42:

I don't believe that is what Ben meant. The way forward is certainly a Membership, but currently we are still offering licenses :+1:

• wieredguy42
    wieredguy42
    Community Member

@ag_ana well i've been pushed to get a Membership dozen times already even when I already got standalone (!sic) plus he is saying that they don't recommend its core features anymore which lead me to conclusion that you are going to slowly drop that feature :angry:
    will 1p8 have licenses :naughty: ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wieredguy42:

well i've been pushed to get a Membership dozen times already even when I already got standalone (!sic)

We believe Memberships are the best choice for more users, so we always recommend them. You are certainly free to use a standalone license if you prefer though, as you have been doing :)

As a general rule, we never share future plans because that is a very good way to be often wrong. At the moment I am not aware of any specific plans regarding licenses though :+1:

• wieredguy42
    wieredguy42
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    i beg you to fight for the right of users to keep standalone licenses :love:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.