Windows App Mini App and PasswordX extension (chrome)

I am fairly new user. I am happy with 1password but a bir confused on the windows app mini app and PasswordX. There was a post in Reddit about widget covering up the login screen and it was said that if desktop app and passwordx are both on this can happen. I had the same issue. So I exited the windows app and everything seems to be fine all together. So the question is when do I use the desktop app? or the mini? I can do most things it seems on the web 1password anyway. İs there an efficient way to use these? Under which circumstances? Just trying to improve my experience of 1password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gandalf12,

Thank you for reaching out and giving 1Password a try! I am glad to hear you are happy with 1Password. :)

Generally, I find it much more convenient to work with and organise your items in the vault using 1Password 7 for Windows, the standalone app that you install on your computer. If you are interested to find out how you can improve your experience with 1Password, please make sure to check the following article out:

Get to know 1Password for Windows

As for 1Password mini, it is a part of 1Password 7. It is helpful, if you want to get access to your data quickly and efficiently (the shortcut to open 1Password mini is simple: CTRL + ALT + \). Moreover, you can drag your username and password from 1Password mini to fill them in other Windows apps, where you need your credentials. Here is how:

Fill details in apps

Please give both articles a closer look and let me know if they are helpful in your situation. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• gandalf12
    gandalf12
    Community Member

Yes I see. Desktop would not be used so much . More so the chrome extension in my case as I dont use too many apps on my laptop.

Funny thing is I have been trying out the shortcuts which are alife saver for opening mini and the desktop app. However Fill login or Show Password shortcut doesnt function at all. I changed it to different variations to no avail. the others work fine. Am I missing something?

• gandalf12
    gandalf12
    Community Member

Fill login or Show 1Password shortcut doesnt function at all. I changed it to different variations to no avail. the others work fine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gandalf12:

The Fill login or Show Password keyboard shortcut only works with the companion browser extension. It looks like you are using 1Password X though, so that shortcut will do nothing in your case.

• gandalf12
    gandalf12
    Community Member

I got lost there. What's the companion browser extension? I thought there's one extension and that's 1passwordx.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gandalf12:

1Password X is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

1Password X

The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password X is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

• gandalf12
    gandalf12
    Community Member

So if I remove the desktop app and just use 1passwordx I could also use similar short cuts to fill in passwords?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gandalf12:

1Password X does not currently use shortcuts: once you click on a username or password field, 1Password X shows you the list of logins you can choose from. You just need to click on the right one to fill it, no other shortcut necessary ;)

• gandalf12
    gandalf12
    Community Member

So in essence to have an effective use if we use desktop app password x wont be fully functional. Best to use one or the other?

• @gandalf12

If you'd like to use the available system keyboard shortcuts for 1Password for Windows that aren't available for 1Password X, using the desktop companion extension would indeed be the way to go here. The end goal here is eventually have desktop integration with 1Password X and the Windows App before too long, but things are still in the works and it's not quite ready for the big leagues yet.

This discussion has been closed.