Nothing happens when I click the install button

Options

For several months, I've been unable to install 1Password. Once I get to the dialog box that asks "Do you want to install 1Password?" and hit "Yes", I get the "loading" cursor for one second, and then nothing happens. No installation, and 1Password doesn't appear in the Start menu or on the list of programs.

However, there are some files downloaded onto my computer when I do this. A 1Password folder appears under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local, inside which is a file named 1Password.exe. When I open it, a window appears prompting me to "Start my trial" or log into an existing account. But when I click "Sign in to 1Password.com", the window closes and nothing happens. 1Password still appears to be running in my system tray, but it's unusable.

Before each installation attempt, I usually delete the 1Password folder that was created on the previous try. I've tried installing 1Password repeatedly over several months, on multiple networks and after many reboots. At one point, I was briefly, inexplicably successful, but then I got stuck again when I tried to install a 1Password update. So I've mostly just been using 1Password X this whole time (which I dislike, since I have to re-login every time I close my browser.)

This is all on my work laptop, which runs Windows 7 (sadly). I know that 1Password installation problems are sometimes caused by Malwarebytes, but the only antivirus software on my laptop is McAfee, and I don't think I'm able to access any of its settings.

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Sync Type: 1Password membership

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Viktor_withaK!

I know that 1Password installation problems are sometimes caused by Malwarebytes, but the only antivirus software on my laptop is McAfee, and I don't think I'm able to access any of its settings.

Without access to your antivirus settings, are you able to at least temporarily disable McAfee?

• Viktor_withaK
    Viktor_withaK
    Community Member
    Options

Without access to your antivirus settings, are you able to at least temporarily disable McAfee?

Hi @ag_ana! McAfee is managed by my organization, so I'm pretty sure I can't disable it—I didn't see an option to, anyway. I've had troubles installing or updating 1Password in the past, but it usually works itself out eventually (for unknown reasons). This time, though, it's taking many more attempts.

• @Viktor_withaK it's certainly possible that McAfee could be culprit behind the updating issues here, but generally you'd receive an error message when attempting to update if that was the case, so there might be more going on here.

Could you go ahead create a diagnostics report for 1Password, and then include that diagnostic in an email to support+windows@1password.com, so that we could take a closer look at what is going on? 🔎

Once you email into us, you should receive a support id that looks something like [ABC-12345-678] -- If you could post that here so we can connect the dots on our end, that would be great! 😊

• Viktor_withaK
    Viktor_withaK
    Community Member
    Options

@Blake Oh dear. I'm clicking the button to generate a diagnostics report, but nothing is happening. There is a log file in the 1Password directory, not sure if that's useful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Viktor_withaK:

What's the name and the path of this log file? I would not want you to send something unrelated to this :)

• Viktor_withaK
    Viktor_withaK
    Community Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

@ag_ana It's called 2020-09-14.log, under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\1Password\logs.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Viktor_withaK:

Thank you! I have asked the team if this file would be useful to figure out why this is happening to you on this machine. I will let you know an answer as soon as I hear back :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Viktor_withaK:

After checking this with the developers, I would like to ask you to please zip the logs folder and email it to us to support+windows@1password.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Viktor_withaK
    Viktor_withaK
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I've emailed the logs. But I just tried logging in to 1Password again, and for whatever reason, it worked this time! However, 1Password still isn't appearing on my Start menu or list of programs—it's still only accessible through the _APPDATA _ folder. I also expect I'll have issues next time I try to install an update. But still, glad it's working, for now anyway.

I was also able to generate a diagnostics report, so I've emailed that to you as well. I'll let you know when I get a ticket number. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Viktor_withaK:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that there are some improvements already :)

And I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: VHF-64685-484

This discussion has been closed.