Unable to sign into 1Password with face unlock on Moto One Action

pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member

Hi, I've recently started using face unlock on my Moto One Action smartphone, which is running Android 10. I started using face unlock, because fingerprint unlocking was too unreliable for me. I've experienced no problems logging into 1Password, with fingerprint unlock on my smartphone in the past (when my prints were recognised).

However, when I turn on Biometric Unlock in 1Password, after enabling face unlock (and after first deleting all my stored fingerprints), I get a "Biometric Unlock unavailable" error. I've attached a screenshot of the full error message to this post.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

1Password Version: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 10
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @pbryanw. 1Password has support for Google's official biometric unlock framework. However, as Android allows each device manufacturer a lot of control over how they actually use the OS, not every device that supports Face Unlock supports the native framework. Some devices use their own frameworks, and some of these are not up to our standards of security.

We don't support each device manufacturer's own unlock methods and only support the 'official' method. To add another little wrinkle to this, the new 'official' method rates different unlock methods, and 1Password will only support unlock methods considered strong. As there are a variety of ways of doing face unlock (some of which are pretty basic), it may be that face unlock works with 1Password on some devices and not others.

Currently, Face Unlock will work on Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL devices, but as far as I know, it's not supported on the Moto One Action at the moment. Further, 1Password relies on the authentication method you have set up for your device. So if you'd need to have Fingerprint Unlock set up on the device in order to use it in 1Password. Since you have Face Unlock enabled on the device, and 1Password can't use Face Unlock on this device, it's throwing the error you're seeing.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Hi @peri Thanks for your thorough explanation :+1: I think the face unlock on my Moto One Action uses the front selfie camera, which I think is one of the pretty basic methods you mention. So, I understand why it doesn't work in 1Password. I just wonder if the error thrown when this happens, could be written in easier to understand English? I intially thought there was a problem with 1Password's biometric interface, rather than with the weak (face unlock) security on my phone.

Thankfully, I decided to switch face unlock off on my Moto, and re-enrolled my fingerprints. Second time proved the charm, and now biometric unlock is working a lot better on my phone, and also in 1Password :chuffed:

• Hi @pbryanw , I'm glad Peri was able to help you understand the issue and that you were able to reset your fingerprint unlock.

In regards to the error message, I think the error was technically caused by something else not working rather than not being able to use face unlock specifically, it was just triggered by this issue.

Let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• mariozaizar
    mariozaizar
    Community Member

Hello, @peri is there a list of supported devices? I'm using a Galaxy S21 Ultra and it has both strong and "fast" face unlock mechanisms, so I wonder if there is or will be support for face unlock on this device. Thank you!

• Hey @mariozaizar, currently the only supported devices for Face Unlock are the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL devices. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Samsung or other manufacturers are supporting the official unlocking method just yet.

In the meantime, you can use Fingerprint Unlock on your device: https://support.1password.com/android-biometric-unlock/.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with :)

This discussion has been closed.