Cannot manages access to Vault via 1Password app for MacOS

bartvanraalte
bartvanraalte
Community Member

From the 1Password app on MacOS I don't seem to be able to edit access to Vaults. When I click on "manage access" I get this screen:

Previously I got a list here of users in our team, and I could grant people access. The only way I seem to be able to add people to a Vault, is via the website of 1Password.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600006) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.6 (19G2021)
Sync Type: 1Password Teams
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot manage access to vault from MacOS app

Comments

• Hi @bartvanraalte

I'm sorry for any difficulty caused here. At present only vaults that live inside 1Password Business memberships can have their access managed through 1Password for Mac. For 1Password Teams and 1Password Families these settings would need to be managed through the 1Password.com web app. Hopefully that is something we can expand in the future.

Ben

• bartvanraalte
    bartvanraalte
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

Thank you for the quick answer. That might explain it indeed. However, why does the option appear in the menu in that case?

I'm also pretty sure I've been able to modify the access via the app in the past. Is this something that has been removed?

I also noticed that if I go to the "Manage Access..." item a couple of times, I just get an empty pop-up like this:

• bartvanraalte
    bartvanraalte
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Hi @Ben,

Its getting even stranger, after trying a few more times, I suddenly DO get the option to select members (have edited the screenshot to hide sensitive information):

This is exactly the same account as before, with 1Password Teams. Also, it only worked once. When I try it again, it doesn't work anymore and I get the same pop-up as showed in my first post.

I think the behaviour should at least be consistent. I've now managed to get 3 different pop-ups by clicking on the same menu item.

• However, why does the option appear in the menu in that case?

I think that's a valid question, and something we should address. I'd argue that either we shouldn't show this option on vaults where it isn't applicable, or we should make it applicable. :)

I'm also pretty sure I've been able to modify the access via the app in the past. Is this something that has been removed?

I'm not aware of this changing. Is it possible your membership was for 1Password Business previously and was downgraded to 1Password Teams? Or do you have multiple accounts in different memberships?

I'll follow up with the team and see if I can get more context here. It is possible that it worked with other membership types before and I wasn't aware.

I also noticed that if I go to the "Manage Access..." item a couple of times, I just get an empty pop-up like this:

That may be a result of rate limiting. If you're opening and closing the screen rapidly the server may be throttling those connections. If this is the case it would seem we should display a message to that effect. Thanks for letting us know. :+1:

Ben

• bartvanraalte
    bartvanraalte
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Is it possible your membership was for 1Password Business previously and was downgraded to 1Password Teams? Or do you have multiple accounts in different memberships?

I only have a single account in one membership. I'm the admin of the membership, and we have always had a Teams subscription.

That may be a result of rate limiting.

In that case, an error message would have been nice indeed. But please also see my follow-up post ( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/572817/#Comment_572817 ) where I do manage to get the expected info in the pop-up. So it is possible, but you need to try a lot of times... Not very convenient :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

This whole situation gets more and more odd. I'm really sorry about that @bartvanraalte. I'm going to ask our QA folks to take another look at this whole flow.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4994

• scottisloud
    scottisloud
    Community Member

Just wanted to chime in and say that I can manage access to groups and individuals in both my 1Password Teams account and my personal 1Password Families account, but it is unreliable. For example, the first few times I tried to manage access, the Mac App displayed groups and individuals as expected in both my Teams and Personal accounts and I could make changes. After a few attempts, I was only presented a blank sheet. This would strike me as a result of rate limiting (accessing several vaults' permissions in a matter of a few minutes), but at the same time, if as @Ben says Teams and Individuals shouldn't be able to do this in the first place, I'm wondering if some other bug is afoot.

• Thanks for the additional datapoint here @scottisloud. I agree the whole thing seems odd. I've filed a bug report for further investigation. :+1:

Ben

• scottisloud
    scottisloud
    Community Member

In trying to reproduce this I'm actually seeing very inconsistent behaviour. This is can be reproduced reliably on both my Families and Teams account:
    1) Click Manage Access on a vault
    2) Sheet appears in the Mac App and it appears in one of two possible configurations:

• Completely blank with only a Cancel and non-functioning Confirm button.
    • Displays the vault icon, name, travel toggle, and Cancel/Confirm but is otherwise blank.

If I am lucky and I get the travel toggle (the second of the two possible conditions above), toggling that setting will cause the rest of the sheet to appear, with a list of users and groups, as expected. If I can get here, I can successfully make changes and hit Confirm.

Hope that narrows things down a bit further yet.

• I can confirm I'm seeing the same results here. Thanks again. :)

Ben

• websenat
    websenat
    Community Member

We have the same problem with it (version 7.6). We have also tested it with the current beta, same problem. Is there any workaround besides using the web interface? Thanks, Ramón

• Hi @websenat

Using the web app would be the only option I'm aware of, unless someone from the community has another suggestion. I apologize for the difficulty. We are investigating this behavior in 1Password for Mac.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.