Migrating from desktop version to account, can't use version7

victoriad
victoriad
Community Member

Hi there,
I've used the downloadable version of 1password for years and just got a new Mac. I've signed up for an account to use all the features. I've got to the step of migrating my passwords from the desktop version on my old Mac to the account, but I can't run version 7 on my old Mac. I have 1password 6. How can I work around this?

Thank you!
Vic

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Hi @victoriad

Do you have access to a newer Mac? While it may be possible to complete this process using 1Password 6, the migration process has improved significantly since then and as such it would be a better outcome if you were able to use 1Password 7 to move your data from standalone vault(s) to your account. If that is not an option, you can complete the migration process with 1Password 6.

As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. We're not financial advisors, and I understand these devices come at a great cost, but the cost of not staying up to date may be much greater. Additionally you'll miss out on some of the new features that you're after if you're unable to run the newer software. If your devices aren't capable of running the latest OS it may be time to consider planning for newer devices.

Ben

• victoriad
    victoriad
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

That's exactly what I've done :) I think you missed the end of the first sentence. I DO have a new Mac but the 1password standalone vault is on the old one. I can only find instructions that say to log in to the NEW account on the OLD device, but I can't do that because the OS is too old to update 1password.
    I hope this makes sense.

I think what you're saying is that I CAN still do the migration on my old Mac with version 6, from the standalone vault to the new 1password account?

Thank you!

• I did indeed miss that; sorry.

I think what you're saying is that I CAN still do the migration on my old Mac with version 6, from the standalone vault to the new 1password account?

Yes you can. You can add your account to 1Password 6 on the old Mac and then move the items into an account-based vault:

Move and copy items

I can only find instructions that say to log in to the NEW account on the OLD device

That is correct. You can add your 1Password account to 1Password 6 on the old device. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.