Are my logins adequate?

Options

I'm wondering if my logins are adequate. 1Password does not suggest a login, so I have been using two random words (all lower case) separated by three numbers. I use a different login for each website. For example my login for this forum is "dolphin826reality".

I of course use the 1Password suggested password - which is always strong. I feel like protection is primarily in the password strength, not the login.

So, am I in good shape, or should I be using more random characters, upper and lower case, etc. in my logins?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I mostly use my email address, which is often asked for. If I want to use a login of your type, I use the password generator in its memorable password option.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Options

@dolphin826reality - it's fine to do as you've been doing, but not strictly necessary. There's an argument to be made that using a random, unique username at each site makes you less easy to identify across the internet (just like using different - or NO - avatars/profile pics would), but it's an open question whether that's a good or bad thing. Some people want to be identifiable across the internet. Others don't, and still others worry that if they're identified as using a certain username, say dolphin826reality, with the image of a dolphin, it might be easier for someone else to try to impersonate them for social engineering porpoises...er, "purposes." ;)

As danco says, your real security is mostly a matter of making sure to choose strong, unique passwords for every site, and save them in 1Password. Since you're already doing that, what you choose to do with your username is mostly a matter of what you'd like to accomplish - visibility and familiarity? Or secrecy and privacy?

• dolphin826reality
    Options

Thank you both for the feedback. My question has been answered.

-- Stay Safe, Stay Well

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dolphin826reality - you're quite welcome! Glad we were able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.