What is the process of consolidating vaults so I only have a local Primary vault

wgkrueger
wgkrueger
Community Member

I found that when I said yes to moving my vault to 1password's online vault I ended up with two identical vaults. Not a problem until I started adding new passwords and updating old ones. Also, this apparently creates two different vault passwords. Now I have two mismatched vaults with two different passwords. It's manageable but not a good longterm setup so I've decided it's a mistake for me to have my vault on 1password.com and I'd like to know if there's a process to 1) Keep my primary vault on iCloud, shared by my Apple devices 2) compare the iCloud Vault with the 1Password.com vault to get a list of mismatched entries and 3) safely delete my vault on 1Password in such a way as I don't loose access to my iCloud vault and the iCloud vault doesn't change password. I'm willing to manually compare the vaults for item #2, preferably with a list.

Thanks for any help,

Bill Krueger

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6, iOS 13.7
Sync Type: 1Cloud, 1Password.com

Comments

• Hey @wgkrueger

I'd be happy to help here. Would you mind elaborating on what lead to this decision?

I've decided it's a mistake for me to have my vault on 1password.com

We're no longer recommending standalone vaults or syncing 1Password data through iCloud. 1Password membership is the way forward with 1Password. Please let me know. Thanks!

Ben

• wgkrueger
    wgkrueger
    Community Member

Hey @Ben,

Thanks for the offer of help.

Sure. 1Password vaults have been the source of too many problems and more importantly too many irreversible traps that could lead to my loosing my vault access. The details are based on the migration process of going from the old iCloud synced vaults to the 1password.com vaults caused me untold number of hours of troubleshooting a macOS install that seemed to be locked into an old, forgotten 1Password Secret Key that I needed to regenerate, panic when I mistakenly thought the password generated during that migration was for the 1Password.com site login and not the vault password which had me storing that password in that vault and thereby causing me to think that I had lost access to years of password in one click and the final ironic piece of this setup is that I now have the vault password stored in cleartext in a file because I'm going to copy/paste that password and not type it in. BTW, each of the above issues were repeated when I thought I had an understanding of the 1Password.com vault system but didn't and went through similar but different problems with my wife's vaults. Simply put, although I think the 1Password software is unrivaled it's ability to secure my data and am willing to pay for that expertise, I do not, and never will, trust the 1Password.com vault system. Ever. Simply put #2, I get livid just thinking about it.

I hope that helps.

As for your recommendations about 1Password membership, I will still pay for the privilege of using your software if that's what you're worried about but as I've said 1password vault storage is a non-starter for me. I'll copy past them into an Apple note if I have to.

So, Can you offer any suggestion on how I can my vaults off 1Password.com and safely onto an iCloud maintained vault? Or is that no longer an option?

Again, thanks for responding,

Bill

• @wgkrueger

So that we can best assist based on your current setup I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115856/what-is-the-process-of-consolidating-vaults-so-i-only-have-a-local-primary-vault#latest
    • Your forum username: wgkrueger

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

ref: archives/CFRVD7WLT/p1600349383060400

• wgkrueger
    wgkrueger
    Community Member

@Ben

I seem to be fumbling some things this morning. I’ve sent the original email without the attachment, then I sent one with the attachment but without the support ID in the subject, finally I sent a new email with the subject containing the support ID and the attachment. Sorry for any confusion. The support ID is: [#QJD-49814-863]

Thanks,

Bill

• Thanks @wgkrueger. It looks like we've got everything together on our end and we'll be working on a reply to you via email soon. :)

Ben

ref: QJD-49814-863

This discussion has been closed.