After updating to the new extension in Safari 14, 1Password no longer works

permb
permb
Community Member

I thought the new extension could be an improvement and behave more like 1PW X on Chrome, but after installing it from the app store it just sits there in the toolbar.

The old extension would provide a popup window when I clicked it so I could quickly navigate to web pages and fill in passwords. The new one is just dead - doesn’t do anything when I click on it.

Is this by (questionable) design or is it a bug?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: macos 10.15.6, Safari 14.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• permb
    permb
    Community Member

In addition, nothing happens anymore if I select 1Password in the right click menu in a text field.

• bear67512
    bear67512
    Community Member

I have the same concern as well. 1Password does not work with this version of Safari.

• lanzani
    lanzani
    Community Member

Yep, same.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @permb!

To make sure we are on the same page, can you please clarify what you mean by "new Safari extension"? The extension did not change in 1Password 7.6, it's only available in the latest beta. Is it possible you only updated to Safari 14 instead?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bear67512, @lanzani:

A similar question for both of you: what version of the 1Password app and of the Safari browser are you currently running? And just to make sure we are not leaving anything to chance since this was a major update of Safari, have you tried quitting and restarting 1Password completely already?

To do so, right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen and select Quit 1Password Completely. If you now relaunch 1Password, is it working again in Safari?

• Is this by (questionable) design or is it a bug?

Not a bug, Safari 14 colors any extension icons that have javascript loaded in the current page.

• Scottw50
    Scottw50
    Community Member

Was experiencing the same problem running the latest beta version of 1Password for MAC on a Mac mini 2018 version. Dropped back to Version 7.6 and problem solved. Using most recent beta resulted in the lovely spinning beach ball no matter what I tried including trying to Force Quit. Once I deleted the beta version and uploaded the latest stable release - problem solved.

• jwhitchcock
    jwhitchcock
    Community Member

I typed a comment, and was talking to Ben. Now my comments and his answer are no longer appearing on my screen?

Have they been lost?

John H.

• pvantees
    pvantees
    Community Member

I had the same issues but the magical 'Quit 1Password Completely' did the trick.

• jcorfield1
    jcorfield1
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue, after update to Safari 14.0 on MacOS 10.15.6, the Safari plugin no longer works. It is still there, however nothing happens when it is clicked, and Command+\ brings up the main windows from the Mac menu bar, not the Safari extension.

• bear67512
    bear67512
    Community Member

@ag_ana yes that helped!

• permb
    permb
    Community Member

I can confirm that 'Quit 1Password Completely' solved the problem. (I tried restarting Safari but that did not help)

• permb
    permb
    Community Member

Oh and by "new extension" I mean the new version that got available through the app store with Safari 14, not the one that gets installed with the app (not sure how to refer to the two different extension types)

• make808
    make808
    Community Member

I have the same issue as the OP. Restarting 1Password via the "Quit 1Password Completely" doesn't help. Checking/selecting the 1Password Extension in Safari's Preferences isn't "remembered" between reboots and/or quitting and relaunching Safari. I have tried deleting the com.apple.safari.plist file to force the creation of a new "preferences" file but upon every reboot or quit/relaunch of Safari the 1Password Extension is unchecked by default and a header in Safari pops up asking me if I'd like to enable the 1Password extension. All "autofill web forms" selections are unchecked. Clicking on the 1Password extension in the toolbar within Safari does not do anything once the extension has been selected within Safari preferences.

1Password: 1Password 7 Version 7.6, (70600005), 1Password Store
    Safari: Version 14.0 (14610.1.28.1.9)
    OSX: Mojave v10.14.6 (18G6020)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Scottw50:

Once I deleted the beta version and uploaded the latest stable release - problem solved.

Thank you for the update! Out of curiosity, have you also tried reinstalling the beta afterwards? I would be curious to know if things would be working again then.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pvantees, @bear67512, @permb:

Thank you all for the confirmation! I am glad to hear that my tip helped :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jcorfield1:

I'm having the same issue, after update to Safari 14.0 on MacOS 10.15.6, the Safari plugin no longer works. It is still there, however nothing happens when it is clicked, and Command+\ brings up the main windows from the Mac menu bar, not the Safari extension.

Can you please confirm if you have tried my suggestion above already? Did it help?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@make808:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• jcorfield1
    jcorfield1
    Community Member

I exited 1Password completely and it did work on one of my Macs, which was strange since rebooting didn't help. The other Mac I had to reinstall 1Password (did't affect data or settings) and it worked.

• Thanks for the update @jcorfield1. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I'm glad to hear that helped.

Ben

• Scottw50
    Scottw50
    Community Member

ag_ana, yes, I have installed the new beta release Version 7.7 BETA-9 (70700009) and Safari Technology Preview, Release 113 (Safari 14.0.1, WebKit 16610.2.3.1), seems to work now. Thank you!

• Thanks for the update @Scottw50!

Ben

• make808
    make808
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

ag_ana FYI, I emailed a diagnostic report to the support+forum@agilebits.com email address. I did notice that today the 1Password updater threw out a failure message indicating that it was unable to identify the installed version of the 1Password application. Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall of 1Password 7.6 might rectify the issue. Suggestions for re-installing via the agilebits website download or via the Mac App store for compatibility? Ticket #[#ECL-58835-241]

• macthecaptain
    macthecaptain
    Community Member

I have macOS 10.15.6, Safari 14.0, and 1Password7 7.6 Something changed and I can no longer 'fill' the website with user and password. I have to copy and paste both. I have 'shutdown', reinstalled the Safari 1Password extension, 'quit completely' and restarted, but I am doing something incorrectly or the 1Password is not working correctly. I am not a real skilled techno guy, but would appreciate some help, please.

• macthecaptain
    macthecaptain
    Community Member

And, I am getting an ad to purchase 1Password very time I use it. Whaaat? I own it already. Thanks for helping on both of these questions.

• Hi @macthecaptain

It sounds like you may have installed 1Password from the App Store, which requires a subscription. If you have a 1Password 7 license instead 1Password must be installed from our website. https://1password.com/downloads

Please give that a try and let me know how it trurns out.

Ben

• @make808

Thanks for sending that! Sorry for the delay. It looks like you sent the email with forum@agilebits.com on the To: line (in addition to support+forum@agilebits.com). Our mail system is set up to automatically close any conversations sent to forum@agilebits.com. No worries though, I was able to locate your report and have re-opened the conversation. I've routed it to the appropriate folks. They should be in touch via email to troubleshoot further soon.

Ben

ref: ECL-58835-241

• macthecaptain
    macthecaptain
    Community Member

I have macOS 10.15.6, Safari 14.0, and 1Password7 7.6 Something changed and I can no longer 'fill' the website with user and password. I have to copy and paste both. I have 'shutdown', reinstalled the Safari 1Password extension, 'quit completely' and restarted, but I am doing something incorrectly or the 1Password is not working correctly. I am not a real skilled techno guy, but would appreciate some help, please.

Ben Here is the email welcome from Jan 2019 "Thank you for your purchase. We hope you love our software as much as we love making it for you. Below you will find your license, receipt, and a few tips to help you get started. We recommend that you save this information for future reference. Enjoy! 😁"

What would have changed in Safari to cause this difficulty? I do get the "Legacy System Information" dialog box that says Intego extensions will not longer work in the future release of Mac OS.
    If I do the downloads again, will my vault data get deleted? I cannot afford to lose it. Is there a way to print it all off?

I am a little nervous about your suggestion.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

Hi @macthecaptain

If you open 1Password and then select 1Password > About 1Password from the menu bar (at the very top of your monitor — next to the  logo) does it say your version is from the App Store? The App Store only works with 1Password membership subscriptions, which is how we recommend moving forward with 1Password. It does not work with licenses. If you have a license, and intend to continue to use 1Password without a membership, you'd have to install 1Password from our site. Doing so will not cause your 1Password data to be deleted.

Ben

• macthecaptain
    macthecaptain
    Community Member

Ben
    Thanks for the response. I did look and it said Mac App Store. I went back to the email from Intego and followed the download instructions. I looked again after it completed. Then it said 1Password Store. After reinstalling the extension and testing the Mini it didn't work. I then went and saw Mac App store. Is it possible that I have two copies of 1Password? It feels 'balled' up here and I need help getting it untangled What do I do now?
    Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.