Import passwords from the keyholder to 1password

abos
abos
Community Member

How do I import my passwords I have in the keyholder from Apple to 1password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I import my passwords i have in the keyholder from Apple to 1password?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@abos

By "keyholder", do you mean Apple's "Keychain". If so, do you have iCloud Keychain enabled?

• abos
    abos
    Community Member

Yes, I mean Keychain. Yes it is enabled, because until now I used Keychain as a passwordmanager, but now i want to start using 1password and therefore want to transfer all my passwords to 1password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@abos

In my converter suite , there is a script called Get_Safari12_Passwords which you can use to extract your iCloud Keychain passwords via Safari. Download the suite, unzip it, and run the script inside the unzipped folder. You can follow along with the video where I show the process.

The process in a nutshell is:

1. Extract your Safari passwords into a CSV file
    2. Convert that CSV file into a 1Password consumable format called a 1PIF
    3. Import that 1PIF into 1Password.
  • abos
    abos
    Community Member

Thank you. I did so and the script started and worked for quite a while, but then gave an error message: System Events got a fault: group 1 of window "passwords" or application process "Safari" can not be requested. Invalid index.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@abos

Be sure to 1) let the script start Safari by itself, and 2) allow the script to finish before you interact with your system.

• abos
    abos
    Community Member

I did and it worked! Thanks again.

• Thanks for the update @abos. I'm glad MrC was able to help out here [thanks as always for assisting!]. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.