Best way to teach non techie how to use a family account?

nelly2010
nelly2010
Community Member

This is a basic, how to get started issue. I want to give family access to my passwords in case of emergency. My wife really needs a manual, which she could refer to when she gets confused, which will happen quickly. (She currently uses a word doc for her passwords). She has no experience with password managers and I am afraid she will re-create new passwords, get confused, and completely botch up my access. I think 1P is too complicated for her, but I want to get her started with a few websites and give her confidence that she can get everything she would need with just a little more effort. And I don't want to have to become a personal trainer in the process.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to get started with this? I anticipate this will take me some significant time over multiple sessions, so I want to start with some successes. Thanks for suggestions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nelly2010!

Our getting started guides could be a good place to start. For example, this is the one for 1Password for Mac:

Get to know 1Password for Mac

We even have a more general get to know 1Password guide:

Get started with 1Password

Then as she gets more familiar with it, the support website has several additional guides for specific features. For example, this is to learn how to use 1Password in the browser:

Saving, filling, and changing your passwords

This should be enough to get started :)

• nelly2010
    nelly2010
    Community Member

Hi, thanks, i will go thru this, i have been a user for a long time so i have to reeducate myself, plus the new issues of family plan coordination. Is there a way to give access but not editing privileges? Thinking maybe i could export a small group of priority logins and add some of wife’s logins, which could be editable.......

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@nelly2010: Consider that 1Password is static (basically maintenance-free) until and unless you (the user) change things. You can use that fact to provide a very stable and convenient "shortcut" and "backup" to your wife's current password document (even though I suspect she also employs embedded browser/OS password managers in actual practice).

So, to start with, you'll want (her) to maintain her online document as the definitive source for all her username/password/security Q&A access info. 1Password, after it's populated with her access info, would then simply "shadow" this source (as well as any other password managers in use). As your wife gradually becomes familiar with 1Password's utility, she will naturally and eventually replace her clunky and insecure access info document and scattershot password managers with 1P's cross-platform secure data storage. To maintain separation between your access info and your wife's (even if it's the same underlying data), you can easily create separate 1Password vaults for each of you. Good luck.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nelly2010:

Is there a way to give access but not editing privileges?

It's not possible in 1Password Families, but it is possible in 1Password Business. But even if this permission was available in a Families account, I am not sure if would be very helpful in this case, as it would make 1Password much more limited in usefulness. May I ask what you would be trying to prevent? Perhaps there is another way to do this.

• nelly2010
    nelly2010
    Community Member

Hi, thanks, i will go thru this, i have been a user for a long time so i have to reeducate myself, plus the new issues of family plan coordination. Is there a way to give access but not editing privileges? Thinking maybe i could export a small group of priority logins and add some of wife’s logins, which could be editable.......

• nelly2010
    nelly2010
    Community Member

Sometimes with bank sites 1p will ask to save a second window of a pin or a challenge question (jp Morgan for instance), and so the real password is written over, sometimes i have this problem bcs i will use cloud keychain for media websites which don’t need as much security

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nelly2010:

Thank you for the clarification. We normally recommend using 1Password for all your credentials, and to disable browser password managers to avoid interference:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

So I would recommend giving this a try even for your media websites, and see if things work better overall :+1:

This discussion has been closed.