Adding a family member to my family has resulted in them having multiple accounts within 1Password

wjazrawi
wjazrawi
Community Member

I upgraded my account today from my single 1Password to Families. My wife already had a 1Password account too so it made sense to get on to the Families account (not just for us, but for our daughters also). When I logged my wife in after I invited her to join my family, it would appear that she now has multiple vaults when I go into her account. She sees her own vault, the family vault and another "Primary" vault. Her vault and the Primary vault appear to have different info (Primary seems to have a subset of her vault).

Also, when I check the "All Vaults" option, I see two 1Password Accounts with her email address, one that says her family and one that says my family. Is this normal and how it should be or is there something wrong?

1Password Version: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.7
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:family member sees multiple accounts

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wjazrawi! Welcome to the forum!

She sees her own vault, the family vault and another "Primary" vault. Her vault and the Primary vault appear to have different info (Primary seems to have a subset of her vault).

The Primary vault is stored outside of the 1Password account, so that is entirely separate. It can be a local vault, or one stored on a third-party cloud such as iCloud or Dropbox. When migrating to a 1Password Membership, we recommend removing the Primary vault since it's not needed anymore.

Also, when I check the "All Vaults" option, I see two 1Password Accounts with her email address, one that says her family and one that says my family. Is this normal and how it should be or is there something wrong?

This is normal: from what you wrote, she had her own Individual 1Password account, and now you invited her to join your Families account, which is separate. There is no need to keep both accounts now however: once she has moved her existing data to her new Families vault, she can remove the previous Individual account from the app ;)

• wjazrawi
    wjazrawi
    Community Member

Thank you very much @ag_ana, much appreciated. I'll sort out the removal of her Primary vault tomorrow.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @wjazrawi! Let us know how it goes :)

• wjazrawi
    wjazrawi
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, sorry - one more question. When I log into 1password.com on my wife's email address, it shows a completely different view (shows All Vaults, Private, Shared) and still offers the option to upgrade to Families. Doesn't look like it's the same view as on her phone at all.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wjazrawi:

It sounds like she is still logging to the previous account. If she opens the 1Password app on her phone and goes to Settings > 1Password accounts, she will see what account is currently added to the app. If she now taps on that account, what information does she see? Specifically, is the account listed there an Individual or a Families account?

• wjazrawi
    wjazrawi
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for coming back to me. When she goes into 1Password accounts, she sees two accounts:
    1. Her own account with her email address and password
    2. My family account, which contains the same email address and password.

Is that the issue you think? Thanks.

• It is, yes. :) If she has moved all of her data to the 1Password Families membership she can remove the individual account (#1) from the apps. She may also wish to cancel the subscription on that one:

Manage your 1Password subscription

Ben

• wjazrawi
    wjazrawi
    Community Member

I'm sorry, I'm having a really hard time with this. When I go into my wife's 1Password.com account, I only see her existing account and vault, with no details on her Families subscription. That only appears on her phone. How do I add the Families subscription in 1Password.com as the impression I get from the support forum documents is that 1Password.com is where I have to do the migration from the existing account (and logins) to the Families account. Can you please help, this is very frustrating. Thanks in advance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wjazrawi:

We will be happy to help you with this. To avoid sharing her account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from her account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• wjazrawi
    wjazrawi
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for getting back to me. I think I figured out that I should've been logging my wife in with the new secret key for Families. Unfortunately it didn't prompt me to do the migration automatically once I logged in, so I manually copied and pasted the items into the new vault. Is there anything else I have to be mindful of before I delete her normal account? Do I delete the account, the vault, or just unsubscribe? Thank you for your help. I can still email you directly if that's preferable?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wjazrawi:

Is there anything else I have to be mindful of before I delete her normal account?

Just make sure that all the information has been moved over to the Families account :+1:

Do I delete the account, the vault, or just unsubscribe?

If she is going to use only your Families account moving forward (which sounds like the case), it's probably better to delete the account altogether, to avoid confusion.

• wjazrawi
    wjazrawi
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana, I presume that I need to delete her account as otherwise I'd be charged for two accounts, no (i.e. families and her personal one)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wjazrawi:

Correct :+1: You could just unsubscribe from the Individual account, but there would be no point in you keeping both accounts if you are only going to use one anyway :)

• wjazrawi
    wjazrawi
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana for all your help, really appreciate it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @wjazrawi! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.