Generate Password ALWAYS saves the new Password

bryanschmiedeler
bryanschmiedeler
Community Member

This may be a case of my not understanding how this feature works, but it has been bothering me for awhile and I wanted to ask about it.

I use 1Password extension in Safari to generate passwords. I do a Command-N or I slick the settings and in the drop down I select "Generate Password". I then see the Password screen with my new password generated. There is a Save and Close button as well.

Typically I will copy the new password and enter it into whatever screen I am in and click log in or register or whatever and then 1Password will ask me to update or create password.

I discovered however that generate password will save the password, regardless of whether I hit save and close or not. So I end up having a login and then a password. What is the point of having the Save and Close if it is already saved?

You could argue that I should just use the save and close and edit everything. That might work for new passwords, but what if I just want to update a password?

I must not be doing something right.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 11.0 Beta 20A5374g
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bryanschmiedeler!

I think the reason for this might be that you are generating the password and then copying it manually. Have you considered doing this directly with the 1Password browser extension, and letting the extension update your Login item? In this case, 1Password should prompt you to update an existing login, and it should get rid of any generated passwords to avoid duplicates:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

• bryanschmiedeler
    bryanschmiedeler
    Community Member

OK, I was correct when saying that I might be doing it wrong.....

Thank you very much.

• On behalf of Ana you're very welcome! :) If you find any other sharp edges please let us know and we'll be happy to help. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.