possible data loss after moving from 6 to 7

Arakasi
Arakasi
Community Member

I'm on MacOS 10.15.6, and was using 1password 6.x until last night. Last night I downloaded the trial of 7 and activated the 30-day free trial for the family subscription. After running the installer, I found that 1p v6 had been put into a zip file. I didn't expect this to happen, and I wanted to be sure that I still had access to my passwords in v6 before proceeding. I unzipped 6 and tried to run it, but it failed to launch properly. v7 launched and it looked like I had access to my passwords there, so I didn't worry about it, and activated the family license trial.

This morning I found that v7 was only showing passwords created through 2018, which was a problem. Thinking that maybe it had synced with the wrong local file, I went into Preferences > Sync and tried to find the correct vault file to point it at. I found two files in Dropbox/1Password: 1password.agilekeychain (13.7MB, updated Sep 27 2018) and 1password.opvault (2.1MB, updated September 2020). The size didn't seem right, but the date did, so I pointed 1password v7 at the .opvault. After it finished "merging", there were only 3 records in 1password, all created since I downloaded the new version.

I restored from a backup dated Sep 21 2020, and now I'm back to a vault that only shows records created since 2018.

My iPhone 1password is still showing all passwords, including those created since 2018. I've turned off syncing on the iPhone, and turned off all data and wifi on the iphone.

How can I get my passwords created since 2018 back on my desktop app?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Arakasi! Welcome to the forum!

This is what you should do on your phone, since it has all your data:

1. Add your new 1Password Families account to the 1Password app on your phone: https://support.1password.com/add-account/
    2. Move your data from your existing vault to the Private vault in your Families account: https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/
    3. Make sure you add the same Families account to the 1Password app on your Mac, so data will sync automatically there too

At this point, you can remove your old Dropbox vault from the 1Password apps so there are no duplicates or sync confusion :+1:

• Arakasi
    Arakasi
    Community Member

That worked, thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Arakasi! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.