Automatically Locking

mjbruder
mjbruder
Community Member

1Password (both the app and the Chrome plugin) constantly auto lock on my Mac even though I’ve turned off all the auto lock settings. Happens at least once a day. How do I fix this?

Comments

• Hi @mjbruder

Have you noticed any particular circumstances that exist when it is locking unexpectedly? Please let us know.

Ben

• mjbruder
    mjbruder
    Community Member

@Ben I wish I could tell the scenario when it locks, but unfortunately, I can't tell. Here's what my settings look like:

1Password7 App Security Settings
    Auto-lock
    Lock on sleep = unchecked
    Lock when screen saver is activated = unchecked
    Lock when main window is closed = unchecked
    Lock when fast user switching = unchecked
    Lock after computer is idle for 5 minutes = unchecked

Chrome Browser Plug-in
    Automatically Lock 1Password = unchecked

Are there other scenarios that will cause it to lock outside of these settings?

• Rebooting is always going to cause it to lock, but that is all I can think of off-hand. We may be able to obtain additional details about why the lock is happening from a diagnostic report. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115972/automatically-locking#latest
    • Your forum username: mjbruder

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• jimstrong
    jimstrong
    Community Member

Hi. I'm seeing exactly the same behaviour. Was this resolved?

Thanks

Jim

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimstrong:

I don't believe we have heard back since September, but you are welcome to send us some logs if you haven't already. Have you received a ticket number already?

• jimstrong
    jimstrong
    Community Member

Oh Hi - the original poster wasn't me, but I have been experiencing the same issue (i.e. all auto-lock options unticked but 1P still locks overnight) and wondered if there had been a resolution. Since asking the question, I'm starting to understand that 1P will still lock once a day even if all options are unticked - is that correct?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021

@jimstrong:

Exactly, I meant to say that I don't believe we have heard back from the original poster since September, so you are welcome to send us some logs too :)

Since asking the question, I'm starting to understand that 1P will still lock once a day even if all options are unticked - is that correct?

What is locking exactly? The desktop app or the browser extension? Or both?

• jimstrong
    jimstrong
    Community Member

Oh OK - thanks!

It's the desktop and mini I've particularly noticed it on and I beleive the browser extension is doing the same thing (need to monitor). But I'm happy if 1P is intentionally designed to lock once a day.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimstrong:

For completeness, 1Password also automatically locks in response to certain events, such as reboots, or when the operating system locks. So even if you can manually extend the timeout settings, for security reasons it will lock by itself in certain cases.

• jimstrong
    jimstrong
    Community Member

Understood - thanks for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @jimstrong! If there is anything else we can do, let us know :)

This discussion has been closed.