To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Is 1Password Really That Easy to Learn???

Blue_Moon
Blue_Moon
Community Member

I'm coming from LastPass, and this is my first experience with 1P. I'll ask my question first, then share my experience thus far. Can I do anything in 1P, and it syncs across all my devices? For example, can I add some new sites on my desktop or do anything else, then see those additions or changes on my laptop, iPad, any other device, as long as I'm logged into 1P? Now, my experience thus far. I've read a few reviews that said 1P is so intuitive, and easy to navigate. I haven't found that at all. It's so convoluted. I can do this on my Chrome extension, but to do that, I have to to go to the desktop app. If I want to do something, I find it in settings, four steps in. Even registering for this forum was a nightmare. It seems that if you don't do whatever you're going to do initially with 1P popping up in the entry field, the little 1P window goes away and you can't get it back. I kept hitting "Generated Password" trying to get it to generate a password. I must have hit it 15 times. Finally, (I don't know what I hit, but) up popped a suggested password. I didn't like it, but didn't know how to change it, so I just accepted it. And much much more. I must say that I never had any of these problems in LastPass, and it really is incredibly intuitive. However, I'm looking at other password managers because of a unique problem in LP, so no password manager is perfect, and I really really really want to love 1Password, but all of a sudden LP's problems don't look all that bad. Please convince me to stick with 1P a bit longer, instead of turning tail and running back to LP.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Blue_Moon

We'd be happy to work with you on this so that you're able to get the most out of 1Password. :) Thanks for giving us a shot.

Can I do anything in 1P, and it syncs across all my devices? For example, can I add some new sites on my desktop or do anything else, then see those additions or changes on my laptop, iPad, any other device, as long as I'm logged into 1P?

Correct: As long as you're signed into the same account on all of your devices you'll have access to the same dataset on all of them.

It seems that if you don't do whatever you're going to do initially with 1P popping up in the entry field, the little 1P window goes away and you can't get it back.

Just to confirm, so that we can best help: it sounds like you are using the 1Password X extension in the Chrome browser. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Ben

• Blue_Moon
    Blue_Moon
    Community Member

Hi Ben, Yes - the extension and the web page. Another question - Are people having problems with the Firefox extension? Mine won't open. It opens in Edge & Chrome, but not FireFox. Also, one thing I'm having a very hard time with is you can do one thing in the extension, but not in the web, and vice-versa. I put in a website, but I needed to change it to directly take me to login, rather than the registration page. I was in the web. It was driving me nuts, because I couldn't change the website. Then I thought about trying it in the extension and it let me. I wish you could do everything everywhere. Another two questions - you have three log-ins, correct? 1. The web, 2. The desktop, and 3. the browser extension. Right? Out of those, is there one that you can do pretty much everything? Thanks for your patience!

• Blue_Moon
    Blue_Moon
    Community Member

One more question - I figured out how to keep the desktop open for longer than 10 minutes, but how do you keep the extension and website open longer? Settings is different in those locations. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Blue_Moon:

Another question - Are people having problems with the Firefox extension? Mine won't open. It opens in Edge & Chrome, but not FireFox.

Can you please try these troubleshooting steps as a first attempt, and see if they help?

If the 1Password extension isn’t working in your browser

Also, one thing I'm having a very hard time with is you can do one thing in the extension, but not in the web, and vice-versa. I put in a website, but I needed to change it to directly take me to login, rather than the registration page. I was in the web. It was driving me nuts, because I couldn't change the website. Then I thought about trying it in the extension and it let me. I wish you could do everything everywhere.

You can indeed edit items in 1Password from the app and from the website too. What was the issue exactly when you tried to update an item website in 1Password Web?

Another two questions - you have three log-ins, correct? 1. The web, 2. The desktop, and 3. the browser extension. Right?

Correct :+1:

Out of those, is there one that you can do pretty much everything? Thanks for your patience!

The desktop app can do everything, even things that the extension or the web cannot do ;)

One more question - I figured out how to keep the desktop open for longer than 10 minutes, but how do you keep the extension and website open longer? Settings is different in those locations.

This would depend on the extension. What version of the 1Password extension have you installed in your browser?

• Blue_Moon
    Blue_Moon
    Community Member

Just to confirm, so that we can best help: it sounds like you are using the 1Password X extension in the Chrome browser. Is that correct?

Yes, 1Password X

One more question - I figured out how to keep the desktop open for longer than 10 minutes, but how do you keep the extension and website open longer? Settings is different in those locations.

This would depend on the extension. What version of the 1Password extension have you installed in your browser?

I've installed Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. The settings are different in the different versions. The desktop version is the only one that I can find how to increase the time 1P stays open.

Thanks for all the other answers!

• Blue_Moon
    Blue_Moon
    Community Member

I have another question. I was looking at adding a vault, and it said "New Vault on this PC." Why is the vault tied to a specific PC, rather than equal access among all my devices?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Blue_Moon:

I've installed Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. The settings are different in the different versions. The desktop version is the only one that I can find how to increase the time 1P stays open.

To increase the lock time in 1Password X, you can go to 1Password X Settings and change the value of the Lock after system is idle for entry:

I have another question. I was looking at adding a vault, and it said "New Vault on this PC." Why is the vault tied to a specific PC, rather than equal access among all my devices?

If you choose to create a local vault, that vault will be stored just on that device. If you want to create a vault inside your account, so that it's shared on all your devices automatically, you need to choose that option and ignore the local one.

• Blue_Moon
    Blue_Moon
    Community Member

Thank you, ag_ana. I'm afraid the battle to stay with 1P is losing. Two factors are contributing to this - With LastPass, I have one login - period. Everything is there. No need to go elsewhere. And it runs like a well-oiled machine. 1P has three - desktop, the web, the browser extension. It's driving me nuts looking for one thing in the web. I look all over, but it's not there, it's on the desktop. I look for something else on the desktop, but it's not there, it's on the web. I've spent most of the day today, trying to learn 1P, and this has happened about seven times since I've started. I know I'll eventually learn where everything is, but I look at where I came from - LP, and I didn't have this problem. However, that's not going to be the dealbreaker, if I leave 1P. It's the continual frustration of trying to log into sites. I've only saved a few sites, thus far, but I've had difficulty logging back into them - I click "open and fill," and sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. That is it always opens, but it doesn't always fill. Also, one site had multi-login pages, and 1P picked up the second page, but not the first. I copied the first web page address, and for the life of me, I could not edit the web page in 1P, and correct it. And I looked in all three log-in sections. In LP, I just click in the field, double click to select everything, and delete, then paste. It's little things like this that are turning me off. Now, you'll probably respond and tell me how to edit the address, but why isn't it intuitive? Unless things improve in the next few hours, I'm going back to LP, which I really don't want to do. I can't express how much I appreciate that the founders of 1P are still with the company, and have grown it over the years into a profitable company with 250 employees, who are dedicated to the product. However, I was with LP for 10 years, and considered Dashlane for a short time. I played with Dashlane and picked it up in no time. I'm just not seeing what all those reviews are saying about 1P being so simple to use. My frustration level is over-the-roof. Anyway, I'm giving it a little while longer. Like I said in a previous post - I really want to love it!

• Blue_Moon
    Blue_Moon
    Community Member

I found the website edit. I looked at all the sections initially but evidently missed it. I was looking again, and I forgot which section it was in - website or desktop, but I found it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Blue_Moon:

1P has three - desktop, the web, the browser extension.

I am not sure you actually need to use all three. You certainly have the option to, but that doesn't mean you have to use all of them at the same time. For example, personally I use just the browser extension most of the times. I only use the desktop app when I need to edit things because it's just faster there. And I don't really use the web version unless I need to change some account settings, which is very rare.

Also, one site had multi-login pages, and 1P picked up the second page, but not the first. I copied the first web page address, and for the life of me, I could not edit the web page in 1P, and correct it.

What website did this happen with? If you could share the full URL we will be happy to test things here too. It is certainly possible that you encountered a website that doesn't work out of the box, so we can definitely have our developers look at it.

This discussion has been closed.