Search filed gets wiped out when switching to different vault

echoparkbaby
echoparkbaby
Community Member

I have 12 vaults. In previous versions of 1Password (7.5 and below) if I typed "Adobe" into the search field it would find all adobe results within my currently selected vault. If I want to search for "Adobe" in another vault, then I press "command 3" (or whichever number to get to a different vault) and the results for "Adobe" would filter. But with the 7.6 update the search text gets wiped out when I "command number" to another vault and I have to type in the search term again. This is really infuriating. Are you going to fix this? I hope it's a bug.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hi @echoparkbaby!

I have managed to reproduce this behavior. I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, so I can certainly reach out to the developers and ask them to take a look at this :+1:

In the meantime, if you want to search for something in multiple vaults, I recommend doing the search in All Vaults view, so it searches everything by default, instead of having to manually switch vaults all the time :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#4892

• echoparkbaby
    echoparkbaby
    Community Member

I'm really hating this new "feature". If I downgrade back to 7.5, will it affect anything?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@echoparkbaby:

Downgrading is something that is not officially supported or recommended, but you can certainly try it if you are adventurous :+1: I still recommend a backup just for good measure, in case something goes wrong.

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member

This behavior bugs me as well. Let me add a few comments to the discussion:

• In 1Password Mini, the search field does persist when switching vaults. But in the main 1Password Mac app, the search field gets wiped when switching vaults (as @echoparkbaby described above). I can't imagine a situation in which I would want the app to wipe the search field when switching vaults, and so I absolutely feel that 1Password Mini's behavior is better. Bringing this behavior to the Mac app would be good both for consistency and overall usability.
    • The suggestion from @ag_ana above to search in All Vaults might be a decent workaround for users who have not modified the default setting to search everything. But I have "Show in All Vaults" set to just a subset of my vaults. So it doesn't work for me. (And besides, it is just a workaround, and doesn't fix the issue.)

I hope the dev team can address this. Thanks.

• echoparkbaby
    echoparkbaby
    Community Member

I ended up downgrading back to 7.5 and will stay there until they institute a fix for this. I hope they do! It drives me nuts.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dgbeecher:

Thank you for chiming in as well! I have added your feedback to the internal issue I opened ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@echoparkbaby:

Sorry! I am sure our developers will do their best to address this :+1:

• joesap
    joesap
    Community Member

Hi All, please add me to the list of users frustrated by this regression. I do hope the developers fix the issue and return to the way it worked before 7.6. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@joesap:

Hi All, please add me to the list of users frustrated by this regression.

Done! :+1:

• appetite_j
    appetite_j
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

+1
    I too have overridden "All Vaults" to exclude one very large shared vault which would otherwise flood the UI with items I don't need to see. But when performing a search it would be nice if I could switch to that large vault to see if the item I'm seeking is there.

Also, I'm not always on-the-ball enough to start my search in the correct vault.

This is especially irritating when performing a complex search (i.e. "Show [all] search options").

• Thanks for the feedback, @appetite_j. I can see how that would be a beneficial change for such cases.

Ben

• echoparkbaby
    echoparkbaby
    Community Member

Did this get fixed in 7.7? Is it on the list of things to fix for a future update? I'm still stuck at 7.5 because of this.

• @echoparkbaby

This was not addressed in 7.7; sorry. It appears it is still on the radar, but I don't have any specifics at this point.

Ben

• echoparkbaby
    echoparkbaby
    Community Member

I see no fix notes for 7.8. Is this issue on the docket to be fixed? I'm still running 7.5! :(

• @echoparkbaby

Sorry, I just gave this a test, and the issue is still present in 1Password 7.8.

• echoparkbaby
    echoparkbaby
    Community Member

I don't see this issue listed as fixed in 7.8.1. Anyone try it out?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@echoparkbaby:

I have just tested this on the latest 7.8.1 beta, and I confirm that the issue still exists there.

This discussion has been closed.