To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password X Question

pwrmacbob
pwrmacbob
Community Member

What is the difference between 1Password 7 and 1Password X? I have a subscription to 1P7. I ask because i see i need 1PX to use the new virtual cards feature. My default browser is Safari on my iMac, iPhone and iPad. 1PX does not seem to be available for Safari.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @pwrmacbob

I apologize for the inconvenience. We will be bringing Privacy integration to Safari on the desktop soon. I haven't heard of specific plans regarding mobile but perhaps that is something we'll be able to do as well. :+1:

As for the more general question: 1Password X is a browser extension, whereas 1Password 7 is a desktop application (with Safari extension baked in). 1Password X lives only in the browser, whereas 1Password 7 has a more traditional desktop interface.

Ben

• pwrmacbob
    pwrmacbob
    Community Member

No problem, even though 1P used to be Mac only, so seems a little weird that it wouldn't be there first. So would it be better to use 1Password X on Chrome and Firefox rather than using 1P7? Is there any additional charges for X?

• scottisloud
    scottisloud
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

No problem, even though 1P used to be Mac only, so seems a little weird that it wouldn't be there first.

The tricky thing is that Safari uses a very different extension system than Chrome and other browsers, and that system is considerably more restrictive, making some features impossible to implement (I should note that things will be changing with the next version of Safari and macOS). Unfortunately, the Mac-only heritage of 1Password is not sufficient to overcome Apple's restrictions on Safari Extensions.

So would it be better to use 1Password X on Chrome and Firefox rather than using 1P7? Is there any additional charges for X?

1Password X is included in your 1Password Membership subscription (along with 1Password on all other platforms!). You could certainly continue to use Safari and the 1Password Safari Extension for your day-to-day needs and switch over to 1Password X in Chrome or Firefox only when you need to use your virtual cards. How onerous this switching is will certainly depend on how often you're using these virtual cards.

Let's hope that Apple's upcoming changes to Safari Extensions give developers like 1Password a bit more flexibility so some of these great 1Password X features can come to Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's been a long time since 1Password was Mac-only, but I do remember that! Indeed, there are significant differences with how different browsers and platforms do things, but we'll continue to work will all of the vendors to make 1Password the best it can be -- and with a 1Password membership you'll benefit from all of that work. :pirate: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.